How do you deal with toxic relationships

Whether it be family or friends. What do you do?

My MIL is horrible she is very two faced and thinks her shit don't stink. Always pointing out how she would parent different or better than I can yet her own kids my dh included are so dysfunctional it's not even funny. I am thinking of just stopping any relationship that I have with her. I can not do anything right in her eyes and she feels the need to gossip about me behind my back. She only does things for anyone if it's gonna make her look good. I am tired of the mental and emotional pain of trying to have a relationship with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would not say to delete her from your life. Just stop inviting her over and do not call her. If she calles let your DH talk to her. Stuff like that, avoid her as much as posible.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I purge and cleanse myself of all toxins :) including family members, so-called friends, and anyone else.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Wow my MIL is also like that, are we in the same family? I have not seen/talked to my MIL in a couple years now...
    Anonymous

• and I can't belive that i'm saying this but....."sticks and stones may break my bones, but words shall never hurt me." I agree with the first answer. Don't let her get you down. Keep your head up high. I'm sure that even if she does talk about you behind your back her "friends" know that she is a gossip lady.....good luck with everything.....
    hollymmm

Answer by hollymmm at 7:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I am in the same boat as you. It is getting to the point where I am really depressed about it. She causes a lot of anxiety in my life.
    phoebe89

Answer by phoebe89 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• (Op)

She bad mouths me to my children That is the biggest problem I have not only that she dad mouth my FIL to my children. She professes to be a Christian which is even a bigger problem for me
    Anonymous

• keep her away from the kids then.

Answer by louise2 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009