I want answers from atheists, agnostics, and all religions too

I have another question titled How do you deal with your spiritual beliefs changing? So far I've only gotten answers from christians and believers. I appreciate the answers but I'm interested in what people from all walks of life have to say. Please look at the question and comments and give me your input.

ainstalshia

Asked by ainstalshia at 6:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• First of all, I wanted to say that I know what you're going through. I was a very devout Christian, but I did as some of the ladies suggested and did some research. I just wanted to know the truth. Needless to say, I uncovered some things that if a lot of Christians uncovered, would feel shaken in their faith as well. I now believe in Jesus as a great spiritual teacher and that upon his death, the world was universally saved. Evil is more like fear, doubt, self loathing, self pity, etc. Good is love, joy, happiness, or God if you will. The universe is neutral and whatever you are putting out there to the universe you are getting back. If you are thinking poor me, I feel bad because of this..you are getting it back. When you are happy, grateful, etc. You are getting good circumstance, and good is happening to you. It's not that God isn't real, it's that your thoughts have a lot more power than you know.
    Anonymous

• As an atheist, I gave you the other side of the argument. Giving up gods and christianity was the best thing I ever did for myself and my life. Belief limits us only to the lies our leaders tell us. Skepticism lets us see and know truth and facts. You have a long journey to take away from your old non-existent god. But it will be worth it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• How do i deal with it?
    ...i don't. I just am who i am. Have my spiritual beliefs changed? Yes. Will they continue to do so? I can only hope that as i change and grow and learn that so too will my beliefs.
    I once believed in Harm Ye None. ...and although i still believe that it is important to be respectful to most i do not hold Harm Ye None in the highest regard.
    I used to believe in The Three Fold Law. I no longer beleave that. I still do believe in the law of attraction, but i see it as an entirely separate thing then The Three Fold Law.

I do not "deal" with my spiritual changes. I meditate and pray and ask questions to those who can give me their perspective. And i EMBRACE who i am becoming.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I've never had this happen, but I'm not a very spiritual person, either. I'm a life-long atheist simply because even as a very, very young child, the concept of any kind of deity just seemed ridiculous and absurd to me. It's never made any sense. This is despite my parents' best efforts to the contrary. The only times I've ever wanted to be able to say I believe is to appease the people in my life who label me constantly, and being able to say I believe would be one less thing they would condemn me for. As far as my disbelief goes, I am still perfectly secure in that, as I have always been.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• As usual, Ditto Roachiesmom.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I just read your other question.   I'm an atheist and have been all my life.  When I have a problem, I deal with it using a blend of common sense and pragmatism.  When I need emotional support, I turn to my family and friends.  There is no trick to living without a deity, you do what needs to be done instead of dwelling on wishful thinking.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think it's normal that your beliefs change and grow as you do. I've 'tried' to believe various things throughout my life. I dont' necessary believe what I did ten years ago. Some of the things that I professed belief in because I wanted to believe them I don't think I truly believed. I always feel like it's okay to question... if there is a God out there, he is big enough to understand doubt and questions and spiritual searching. There is more than one way to approach the mysteries of life. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I was raised Christian, then for 10 years I was "agnostic" or atheist, depending on my mood. Now I am a catholic and very sympathetic to Orthodoxy. I am at peace now and very happy with my spiritual direction. I have alot of work, but I have much hope also.
    Personally I think young people go through a period of atheism or even occultism, on their spiritual journeys, before finally settling on one of the major religions again.
    shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 9:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2009