Mithraism

Have you ever read anything about this once popular religion? Amazing how a religion can be so widely accepted until another one pops up in it's place and becomes the 'flavor of the week', isn't it?

http://en.allexperts.com/e/m/mi/mithraism.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have a post on my home page (from a year or two ago) about this male-oriented deity who was reborn on Dec. 25th, performed miraculous healings, had 12 disciples, was crucified and ressurrected at the Spring equinox (Easter!!), and who anointed his followers with sacred blood. Sound familiar? It should. Mithraism existed some 300-600 years BEFORE christians came on the scene. Like Judeo/Christianity it is a "males only" club. But the followers were SO devoted that the christians had to appropriate the holiday for their own version of a god-man. Too funny!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You do realize that nobody's tasted that "flavor" since 5th century A.D.?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Actually, there are people who still worship in this religion, it hasn't gone away. It's just not important any longer because other religions have taken it's place- as I think will happen to the popular religions of today sooner or later.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• witchqueen, I've posted before about the similarities between both Mithraism and Zoroastrianism, but people seem to turn a blind eye to the massive amounts of coincidence, call me names and continue on their merry way.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• A very informative website. Good job!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thank you. And it's NOT BIASED, which makes it even better!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009