what is the true difference about grinding my baby's food? to me it dosn't seem more cost effective but am i wrong? is it better for my baby??

LennonT0609

Asked by LennonT0609 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's healthier and actually costs less once you get all the ingredients you can make more than what you can buy for the same money. It doesn't have all the additives that they put in prepackaged food
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• well 3 carrots cost maybe 2 dollars and make about 10 2oz meals while one 2 oz jar is 50 cents, and its better cause you are in charge of what she /he is eating vs preserved food that is good for years... that alone grossed me out.
    alicianana4life

Answer by alicianana4life at 7:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I agree with the above two posts. I ground my own baby food- I knew what was in the food and how it had been treated. I wasn't as much concerned about price, although it was nice that it was cheaper, as I was about knowing what was in it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I LOVE making my daughter's food. It's cheap, I can make a TON at once & freeze it in ice cube trays, and I decide what foods I want to mix with other foods. I rather know what I'm putting in her, than what comes in the jar, ya know. It's even helped me to eat healthier since I'm surrounded with all
    those healthy foods.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I am already feeding him organic baby food so the added preservative's is not a problem. I will be buying all his food organically if i did grind them, so i am worried i would be spending more. he LOVES to eat so I am finding that I am just buying more and more of those jars. I'm just worried I'll be spending so much money, we all know fruit and vegetables are not that cheap. And what do you mix? How do you know what goes together good??
    LennonT0609

Answer by LennonT0609 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Making homemade baby food is far less expensive than buying baby food.
    For example, a pound of bananas .34-54 cents.
    I jar of baby food banans is .50 or more.
    Anonymous

• I liked doing it, too... mashing a banana, especially, there's no reason not to do, because you can do it with a fork and bananas are dirt cheap. I loved Ruth Yaron's book Super Baby Food. It can be healthier. All that said, there is something to be said for convenience. I was a lot better about making my first daughter's food than my second daughter's. I still fed #2 mashed avocado and bananas every day, but the large batches of home cooked and then frozen mashed sweet potatoes and whatnot didn't really happen so much for her... I had my hands full and it can be time-consuming. Don't beat yourself up about it either way. But make sure you let Gerber do what it does best-- that is, provide you with pureed peas when you're in a pinch... don't give them your money for their baby-sized nutri-grain bars and all that stuff that really is just a marketing ploy!! By 12 months, your baby can eat any old regular food you make!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You know exactly what you are feeding your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It is cheaper. Your baby can have mashed bananas and avacados, sure. You make baked potato, sweet potato, whatever you have for dinner after you have introduced individual foods so the allergies don't come into play, feed the baby! If you breastfed garlic, and onion come through the breastmilk, and I really don't know what other flavors. Your baby is probably accustomed is a small way to what you eat anyway. What you eat, feed the little one. I used to have a grinder that worked without electricity in the 80's, haven't seen them around now, but they were great to take to resturants. I wish you well, save money, the baby eats what you eat. When you travel, or a visit to the zoo, go ahead and splurge on Gerbers and Don't Feel Guilty About It Either!!!!! Good Luck momma!!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• He shouldn't be eating so much that it's terribly expensive.... milk should be his main source of nutrition throughout the first year.

With both my boys we didn't grind or really spoonfeed anything... they just got a little of what we were eating that was appropriate for them, so there was really no extra cost...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009