Help. 4 week old won't stop crying! Can I let him "cry it out"?

I've never had this problem - yet. He usually stops crying. I usually try to feed him but he's been feeding allllll day. He can't possibly be hungry! He had bath, he had play time, he's been put in all 3 of his different beds. he's had cuddle time. What can he possibly want?!

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 7:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he will eat.. feed him it's quite possible he is going through a growth spurt and is needing more food than normal.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 7:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• He's 4 weeks and probably just wants to be held...or it could be colic. don't let him cry it out. There is something bothering him. Have you changed detergent lately. is there a tag bothering him? and I agree with PP, he is in a growth spurt so feed him more often.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• WAYY too young for cry it out. At this age there may be something wrong with him. Try gas medicine, a change of scenery (a walk or ride in car), or see a dr about colic (if it doesn't get better)
    Anonymous

• at 4 weeks they dont really cry for the little things that its ok to let them cry it out. try the colic hold. face down with his belly firmly pressed on your forearm and rub his back firmly.....bouncing a little helps too.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• He's a BABY.

They CRY.

Talk to your doc, it may be colic.

Hold your baby, rock your baby, then hand him over to Daddy/Grandma/your BFF and take a walk.

It will get better.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yes, it is absolutely possible that he is hungry, or that his tummy hurts, or he just wants to be held. which there is NOTHING wrong with. new babies should never be put down unless it is unavoidable- thats what wraps/slings are for. it is an unnatural feeling to him, being outside of the womb- they just want to be safe, and warm.

CIO is neglect. period. especially with a newborn.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If at all possible, try to hang in there with him. It's scarey for a little guy to be left alone to cry. 99.9% of the time, yes, a 4mo is to young to CIO. That other .1% of the time- if you are beyond being able to care for him anymore- give yourself a time out. First choice it to pass him off to someone else. If that's not an option, and you don't make a habit of it, a single short session where he's left to cry will not ruin him for life. He will be scared, but if you need a break that badly, TAKE IT.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thanks everyone. First day alone with him. I finally just had food today. I dont know how I can make food for baby if I dont have time myself to eat. Cold lasagna, too worried to take the extra 2 minutes to heat it.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 7:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• And- advice well taken. I can't bear to hear him cry it out either. Its too bad he doesnt like the sling I have. Maybe I just dont know how to put him in it correctly :(
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 7:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Just try to figure out what helps him sleep... for my colicky baby it was motion (although unlike many fussy babies, she did not like to be worn in a sling on me -- we had to bounce her and, if we were lucky, she's be alright in her swing for short periods). Just keep trying things. Colic is incredibly hard to deal with, but it doesn't last forever. Google it. You'll find lots of advice. I'm not sure what you meant by cry it out, but here's the thing... you can't just put him down and let him cry until he passes out; however, you CAN put him and walk outside for five minutes so you don't go insane. Also, nursing all day long is totally normal in newborns; they go through lots of growth spurts and some of them make them crazy milk hounds until they get your supply up with their demand or the growth spurt ends. Hang in there!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009