How can i get my 2 year old to listen to me?

I have just recently become a stay at home mother since i have been laid off work. My son is 2 and can be the biggest sweetheart.

Right now i think he is in his terrible 2's stage. Everytime i tell him No, or not to do something, its like he doesn't even hear me and i know he can hear just fine, he talks like he is 10 years old, he's very vocal. He likes to hit and scream and just throw off the wall temper tantrums when things arent going his way. However, when daddy speaks his listens to him and does what he says better, but its like he doesn't even hear me... im not sure what the problem is.

What is the proper way to handle this situation?
I am a first time mommy, he's my only one, any advice would be helpful.

Jacobsmommy31

Asked by Jacobsmommy31 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ignore his tantrums.
    try to word things in a positive way and use redirection. Instead of saying, "don't color on the walls" say "I'll get you some paper to color on." instead of saying "don't touch that" say "here is something you can play with". etc.
    consistency. consistency. ...consistency. HOLD TO YOUR GUNS! do not give in. if you give in once. ...just once. then he has one. and he will remember it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• "no" puts kids on the defensive at that age. try not to punish him. use distractions. if he is getting into something he shouldnt get out the paints and invite him to paint with you. but always praise good because they will always try for praise if they know how to get it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• He is 2, and even that young they know who they need to listen to, and it sounds like he has figured out dad means business and mom is soft. What does dad do or how does dad say it... if dad is firm, you need to be firm and not oh no baby, please don't do that in a sweet voice.. Stand tall and mean what you say and say it with meaning.. As for the tantrum, yep outstanding said it..ignore them and walk right by him. Give in once even in the grocery store, they remember and will continue the behavior because it got them what they wanted.. Hang in there mom, you will figure it out :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009