if i decide to grind up bluberries and strawberries for my baby how do i make them less bitter for him???

LennonT0609

Asked by LennonT0609 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Strawberries are not recommended for babies - they are a common allergin. Also - you shouldn't add any sweetener to baby food, there's already naturally occuring sugar in food and adding more makes it less healthy - especially for a baby. You should look into getting a good baby cookbook - it tells you everything you need to know. I bought "Superfoods for babies" and it gives you great healthy recipes!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You may already know this, but the recommended age for strawberries is 12 months because of allergies... my second daughter has a really scary peanut allergy, so I'm a little overly-cautious.

If you want to mix anything with your baby's food, I'd just use another fruit. Like a banana. Mashes well with a fork.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• try a little bit of sugar?
    Anonymous

• Mix them with a sweeter fruit.... like blueberry bannna
    I wouldn't give strawberry until your baby is a year though, it's a very high allergen.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• oh thanks i didn't know about the strawberries, that is good to know. And he loves banana's so i will try that with his blueberries!
    LennonT0609

Answer by LennonT0609 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You could mix in a little bit of yogurt. Children can have some dairy before a yr.
    Anonymous

• Strawberries are an allergy trigger food, and should not be introduced before age 1.

Smash frozen blueberries in the food processor; mix with a little breastmilk or water (or formula) if it is too firm.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Blueberry and strawberries are both allergenic. They contain the same allergen actually and kids will be allergic to both (my first was). Cooking kills the allergen so if you're going to give it to baby, it has to be cooked first. Try putting some in oatmeal while cooking it...

I would just personally wait until they can eat them whole and don't sweeten with anything. My son loved blueberries at a year old... unfortunately, that's also when we found out he was allergic.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Please don't put sugar in your babies food, I would actually guess that if you tried a few times they would be perfectly happen with the natural flavor of the fruit!
    rachelv817

Answer by rachelv817 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i wouldnt try neither till your LO is atleast 1 yr old
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 2:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2009