does anyone breastfeed and formula feed?

and if so how many times do you do each in 24 hours and do you do them in a pattern like once bf then the next feeding ff and so and so on?

maris1192

Asked by maris1192 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did with my first daughter because I was pumping at work and not able to keep up with her demand that way. So then I always nursed her when I was around her, but when I was at work sometimes she got all breast milk, sometimes all formula, usually a combination. Can I ask why? Are you worried about your supply? I don't want to presume... THe more you offer formula, the less milk your body will make, so you will very, very likely end up with an exclusively formula fed baby sooner than you might think. I'm not saying you don't have a reason...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• There was a point in time when I had to formula feed and breast feed. Its not bad just make sure his/her formula is easy to digest. Because your breast milk is pretty easy for their tummy's, whereas some formula is really harsh on their tummy's. I had to change my son's formula 3 times before i put him on soy, soy is easy on every babies tummy regardless of milk allergies.
    LennonT0609

Answer by LennonT0609 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• With my son we did both... mostly breastfed though. Basically he got breastmilk through the day and formula at night (so daddy could feed him) and then if we were out in public we did formula... I wasn't comfrotable breastfeeding in public in most situations.
    I wouldn't do everyother feeding... I would breastfeed or sure breastmilk as much as you have and then use formula as a supplement.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I did it very successfully with my kids. I started BF for about 2 weeks. Then I slowly dropped a feeding during the day and replaced it with formula. I went back to work when they were 4 months. By that time I was BF in the morning. The kids went to daycare until 5:30. I nursed in the evening and all night. This continued until they were 9 months or so and self-weaned. I never had to pump at work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• With both my kids, when I went back to work, I had to supplement with formula, I just couldn't pump enough. At that time they went to daycare 3 days per week and would usually get 2 bottles of BM and 1 of formula. The rest of the time I nursed exclusively. It was a HUGE relief to have that to fall back on when I realized I couldn't keep up. So, they got 3 bottles of formula a week and that was it. FWIW DD BF'd until she was 13 months and DS is still nursing at age 2.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• well EmilySusan i'm doing it for the same exact reason AmiJanel did for the daddy thing and the public places and i'm sure it will be alot easier i just wanted to get some input in about how ya'll do it and other good information about going both ways so thanks!
    maris1192

Answer by maris1192 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i exclusevely pump but he does get one bottle of formula a day
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• For nighttime and going out in public I would suggest you first, co-sleep and second, buy/make a ring sling.

With co-sleeping the entire family gets as much sleep as possible. Whereas if you were to have daddy give bottles at night, you would still have to get up and pump at your babies regular feeding time to maintain/establish supply. Why get the entire family out of bed when all you really have to do is roll over? Have daddy do nighttime diaper changes!

With a ringsling, not only is baby secure and happy, you have a great cover for putting over baby while she nurses and no one will be the wiser. Practice at home a little and find a private place in public to start with, but you will get talented at it quickly a be able to do it anywhere! Again, with giving bottles when you are in public, you would need to pump at babies regular nursing time to maintain supply... really, which is less discreet?

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Oh, and look into open and sterile guts. Introducing anything other than human milk in the first 6 months carries risks... so it's not just about convenience, really look into the possible harm just a few bottles might do.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yeah I usually give her two bottles a day to give myself a break. I give her one right before we go to bed so she'll sleep a bit longer. I breastfeed through the night, but give her formula when I wake up in the morning. It works well for me since its only twice it doesn't screw with my supply, but still keeps me from feeling like a cow lol.
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009