what do you think about spanking?

i cought my 7 year old on top of the tv which is on top of her dresser and i spanked her. i never spank unless my kids are putting themselves or someone else in serious danger and every time i have to i feel like a horrible mom. is there a better way to deal with this? time outs and things like that dont seem to do justice for something like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Never spanked my kids and never will. We are intelligent people who came up with more reasonable solutions and would not resort to physical violence to get our children to behave. A woman at Target the other day said to me " you must not spare the rod in your home your children are wonderful." Told her we have never spanked our children. She was shocked. I have 7 children ages 7, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 2 months. I take them to stores by myself all the time they are well behaved.  They have a very secure and loving home and get the attention they need.  Kids who are busy and do know their parents care tend to act out less than children who are treated as annoyances or ignored.  We do discipline but it is not used often any effective punishment is not needed often. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I have spanked my oldest 3 times and she is 17. My other 2 children I dont think I have spanked either of them more than once. Sometimes a spanking for something serious is ok, as a form of everyday use..na I don't think it is effective. A spanking out of anger is never good.
    Anonymous

• if done correctly it can be useful.
    Anonymous

• my son is 5, he is a rebel & a bad a**, almost never minds, i do spank my son, i don't abuse him, just make him pull down his pants and spank him. then i explain why he got whooped, and give him a hug, its tough love and there is not 1 thing wrong w/ spanking your child! better now then your child being 14-17 and you cant tell them shit because they have no direction and are spoiled rotten, imo.

_mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 8:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It's the best method of discipline around. It's been highly successful in my family for 4 generations, and there is not a rebel rouser in the bunch.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i spank my kids. and im not affraid to say so. . . .
    sometimes it is just needed.
    as long as there is not bruises. is shows who is boss!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• IMO, it sends the message that hitting solves problems. If this fits with your life-philosphy, then have at it...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i am not sending messages that hitting solves problems. i am sending the message that if you put yourself in a dangerous situation your going to get hurt one way or another.
    Anonymous

• Time outs work for my DD, so I've never had to spank. I HAVE met a few kiddos though that I thought needed a good spanking!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Spanking is not my thing.

In the case of your daughter, I would have given her a time-out and taken the tv out of her room as punishment.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009