when did u start

when is the normal; time to start potty training i see all these people on here saying 3 years old. me and my husband both were trained at 1 and a half. is everyone just to lazy to start early now or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep, thats what it is....... rolling eyes.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Start whrn the child is ready. For us that was about 1.5-2 years old for others maybe not.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I don't judge and don't think anyone's lazy... but I am a fan of training early, I think kids can handle it as long as you show them what to do and send clear signals about expectations. My daughter didn't show too many readiness signs and didn't know much about the potty before we started and she went straight to undies at 19 months. She's still in diapers at bedtime now at 2 1/2 but we're thrilled that she has done so well with the potty for almost a year now. I think kids can rise to the occasion, but that's just me.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i havent seen any one give an answer of 3 years old for when to start potty training. the correct answer is when your child shows the signs of being ready... and dont be so judgmental geeeese!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My mom claims I was trained before I was a year old. After becoming a mom myself, I can honestly say she LIED. *I* wasn't trained...SHE was trained to get me to the toilet.

No, I am not too lazy to start early. I do, however, chose to NOT make him going to the toilet a battle and waited until he was ready, when there would be little battle and/or power struggle. For my kids so far, yes, that has been 3. If you think I'm lazy, then walk a mile in my shoes.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The idea of waiting until they are ready is fairly modern. Other cultures start training immediately (and we did in the States too). It takes a little longer the earlier you start - just like anything they are learning. I started my kids at 18 months, 2 years, and 9 months. The youngest has been the easiest so far - although not fully potty trained yet. She is 13 months and goes every single time she sits on the toilet. I plan on starting my next as soon as he starts solids.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Just thought I would add - it is not training the mom when you start early. The babies DO learn to control their bladder. When they start holding it during nap and bedtime and actually try to go when sitting on the toilet - they are controlling their bladder! Like I mentioned, it may take a little longer for them to learn that control, but it is possible!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• People who start potty training before 18 months likely will not have FULLY potty trained kids by the time they are 3. However, people who start after age 2.5 will much more likely have FULLY potty trained children by age 3. Its certainly not laziness. What happened to mother supporting each other? If you want to start early, go ahead... Why judge other moms?
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The child tells you when he/she is ready to potty train.
    But if it makes you feel superior you can continue to call people you are asking questions of lazy.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you start at 12 months so you can have your baby potty trained at 18 months (LOL LOL LOL). I on the other hand have successfully potty trained 4 kids in 3 days by waiting until they were ready (and that is actually potty trained.. you know. Them knowing when they need to go, expressing that fact to you, getting undressed by themselves, going to the bathroom, wiping, getting dressed, flushing the toilet, and washing hands). But really, you go ahead and take 6 moths or 2.5 years to reach the same point. Good luck with that. :)
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009