my fiance is getting bloody noses in the winter

my fiance is haveing bloody noses is that normal or is a side effect of something my mom told me that is a sign of cancer need more opinions?

ryansbabygurl88

Asked by ryansbabygurl88 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Health

• I would guess that he's getting a bloody nose from excess dryness. When you turn your heat on in the winter, it makes the air much dryer and can dry out the soft tissue in the nose. Try getting a humidifier and using a q-tip to coat the inside of the nose with vaseline.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I don't know about a sign of cancer although my niece had leukemia and did not have bloody noses. Most likely it's a side effect of dry heat. Get a humidifier to run in the winter. We have to do that. Also, he could swap the inside of his nose with salt water to keep it hydrated and kill viruses hiding in there.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My DH and DD have this. It is extremely dry here year round, but it is always worse when the heat is on. I always remind them to keep drinking - lots of water and of course we run humidifiers.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It's caused by the dry heat.  If your furnace has a humidifier, you should clean it.  If it doesn't, then put some bowls of water out around the house. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My husband has the same problem. Get him a tube of Unpetrolem Jelly, or a jar of coconut oil, and have him put some in each nostril at night. Sleeping with a vaporizer will help, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yeah, it's probably from the dry heat. I lived in this apt years ago that had super dry heat . . . I would wake up with blood all over my face . . . I got a humidifier and it helped extremely.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2009