whoever answered the fever question

look it up!!!!!! high fevers can in fact cause brain damage....mostly because alot of times it is difficult to get a child to drink enough fluids and dehydration causes the body to fail at regulating temperature, even with use of fever reducers, causing seisures, brain damage, blood pressure problems, and many other things. it is simply that when a child has a fever of 106 and higher they usually will not drink fluids no matter what you do and quikly become dehydrated. so quikly that parents dont usually catch it in time.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 9:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't need to look up... I have a degree I don't need google to give me crap info. (BSN,RN,CPN)
    I've had many patients with temps as high as 106-107 and they are just fine... no problems at all.
    And as far as your info... if the problem is not drinking, then it's DEHYDRATION causing the problem... not the fever. And yes, I agree severe dehydration can cause serious problems.
    Fever's don't cause brain damage. Febrile seizures don't cause brain damage.
    Hyperthermia (not the same as a fever... hot because of like being left in a hot car or whatever) that can cause braindamage.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Wow. Who knew it was heated over a fever discussion. I work in the medical field as well and see fever all day long. As long as it is not past 104 I say no worries. So do all the docs I work with. But I admit when my son has a fever I get all worried....and I did have to bring him into the ER due to a high fever. The answer: Tylenol. But the fever was only indicative of another issue. Fevers are the result of a problem, not the main problem. They do tend to make us uncomfortable. For my own child if his fever is not uncomfortable I don't medicate. Unless of course it is "high" and he can't shake it. My son had a fever of 103 for several days and his doctors were not worried nor did they want me to give medicine unless it made me feel better. 104 was the limit of what was okay. My son's neurologist though did say febrile seizures in some children can cause damage. What that "damage" is I do not know.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I always thought that a fever was a good thing. (reason and good judgment being used). The fever is burning off the bacteria causing the illness. I usually don't treat a fever unless a child is lethargic or so achy they are crying all the time. That can mean a fever of 99 and I've given Tylenol. Some kids are just fine with a 101 fever and you'd never know it. I think a mother's intuition is important too. Sometimes you just know something isn't right.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• 99 is NOT a fever. 99 is a normal freaking temperature!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Anything above your normal body temperature is a fever. I'm not a doctor but thats what our pediatrician has always advised us. My daughter's normal body temperature is 97.8, 99 would be a fever for her. I'm sensing there is more going on here than the simple question asked.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• "Normal" is 97.8-99.8.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2009