My three week old has a temp of 99.3?

I took her temperature rectally and it was 99.3 is she okay??? or should I be worried? I'm told at this age you can give them anything to bring it down. I called her pediatrician, but they are taking forever and a day to call back.

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told that infants usually will have a higher body temp and not to worry unless it goes over 100.3. Your dr should call you back regardless, but unless there are other symptoms, I wouldnt worry too much.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• A rectal temperature is about a degree higher than an oral temperature. Which would mean she does not have a fever.

Answer by Bmat at 9:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• That's not a fever. My daughter's temp is that high most of the time I take it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• That is a normal rectal temp. A rectal temp should be between 98.5-99.9 and wouldn't be a fever until it were 100.5 in an infant under 3 months or 101 in a baby older than 3 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2009