"Kosher" Mexican Food?

My sister's new boyfriend is Jewish and pretty traditional. I'm cooking Mexican for her b-day and need to include some dishes for him.
Any suggestions?

P.S. I also posted in the Religion sec.

ddbz

Asked by ddbz at 9:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kosher-food.htm

Maybe that will help you
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 9:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• To keep things simple, make a vegetarian meal.

You need to find out how kosher he is. Will he eat only Yoshon flour and Chalav Yisroel milk, or is any ingredient with a hecsher (a mark indicating that it is kosher, such as a "U" inside of and "O") acceptable.

There are some great products out there (we don't eat meat and many of our friends have kosher homes), like the seitan chorizo made by Upton Naturals.

Feel free to send me a message offlist if you have any questions at all.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• If he is strict (rabbinical) kosher, it may be a moot point, because he won't eat anything you've prepared anyway because your cookware wouldn't be kosher, nor would your plates, glasses or silverware. If you have paperplates & plasticware, he may use those things, but the only food he would eat would be either what he brings to the party himself or what comes directly out of an unopened package with an acceptable hechsher (kosher mark). However, since he is dating your sister and you all are obviously not Jewish, I'm going to say he probably isn't that strict, but your best bet is to ask your sister about his dietary requirements. If you want to keep the birthday dinner a surprise, then just ask as if you are planning on hosting a general party for some other reason (maybe to get to know the new boyfriend?).
    Anonymous

• As many suggested, I would check first to see his level of kosher observance. If he's very strict, he won't eat no matter what you cook and he could be embarrased that you made the effort and he still has t osay no. It has happened to me and I've felt really bad. I'm going out on a limb like the PP, but I also think his observance is probably very basic as he's obviously dating a non-Jewish girl. In that case, I would avoid any meat dishes, I would keep it either vegetarian or make dairy dishes.
    And when in doubt, ask him! I really have no problem with people asking me what can they do for me whe nI'm invited to their house and/or a party. Honesty is the best policy.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2010