I know this sounds stupid but....

What does effaced mean? i know what dialation means but not sure what bein effaced is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Effacement is the process by which the cervix prepares for delivery. After the baby has engaged in the pelvis, it gradually drops closer to the cervix; the cervix gradually softens, shortens and becomes thinner. You may hear phrases like "ripens," or "cervical thinning" which refer to effacement
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• its the way the baby is facing basically. If you have the "what to expect" books, it gives a definition and shows pics. If not, google it. There are different stages and as you near your due date youll want to know what the dr is talking about when she tells you how effaced you are.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• no it is not the way the baby is facing. dilation is like how open the cervix is and effaced is how thinned out it is around the opening.

http://www.ahutton.com/cgw/clipart-hosp/Effacement%20&%20Dilation%20Chart%20OF-3-spanish.jpg
    Anonymous

• I meant to add, it has nothing to do with the way the baby is facing.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I stand corrected. I think I just remembered what one of my books said while I was pg but I just tossed that book so we're good now.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• my doctor never even said the word effacement i never even heard it while in labor they just told me how dialated i was
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 9:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009