Does anyone have an opinion on using an elliptical on a regular basis?

Is this a good full body workout? I am especially concerned on whether it is good for posture/back/shoulders area. Thanks!!

esterm

Asked by esterm at 9:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Well when i was active duty I would use the elliptical for my PT workouts. I am not sure on posture and back stuff, however my friend who worked out with me has back and ankle problems and the elliptical was the only machine she could use that didn't make her hurt and i believe it is a part of her physical therapy. I would also like to say that I didn't rely on this machine for my total workout.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 9:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I have a slipped disk in my back, just recently started going to the gym and I've used the elliptical maching everyday this week. It doesn't hurt my back unless I start to slouch on the handles b/c I'm tired. You just have to keep yourself straight when you get tired and try not to slouch when you need to rest your upper body while your legs are still going. Its a good workout though. My only problem is my heart rate got up to 210 BPM yesterday and they told me to stop before I had a heart attack. It gets my heart rate up faster than a full sprint run.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I love the eliptical! I bend down forward to isolate my butt, going forward and backward, but for most of the workout, I am standing up straight. You just have to watch your posture. It is good for your cardio portion of your workout, but I would still do some crunches and leg lifts for abs and some light weights for the arms.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It's a very low impact cardio workout that doesn't place tension on the joints the way traditional treadmills and stair climbers do.

There should be no problems if you are healthy, but with anything, check with a doctor/trainer before beginning if this is a risk for you.
    Anonymous