People of all faiths, please respond........

If you wanted to share your core beliefs/values with someone in a way they could easily interpret and understand, what book would you suggest? I understand most Christians will be tempted to respond, "The Bible" but I'm looking for another answer, something that someone who had no idea about your faith could easily read and comprehend. I think that most Christians would readily admit that the OT would be a little overwhelming for a newbie to tackle on their own. If you insist on answering with the Bible, then please include which version. Thank you ladies for participating!

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 9:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thanks for the partcipation!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I would suggest the book of John- even though I am Catholic I still use NIV and occasional KJV
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• As a Wiccan I would suggest anything written by Scott Cunningham or Wicca for Dummies... very basic reading with very easy understanding of the Wiccan Religion...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• As a Buddhist, I would recommend an 'intro' book by one of the many good Buddhist authors out there... The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings by Thich Nhat Hahn is a good one, and so is Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• when i started studying the bible i also used a book called What does the bible really teach. it's a really good book. for my children we use my book of bible stories.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• They really have a "Dummies" book for everything, don't they? Someone mentioned Catholicism for Dummies to me the other day.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• YES! I have that one- catholicism. lol. its pretty good.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I'm a Christian and I'd suggest the Book of John in the NIV maybe read along side of a paraphrase version (which is not meant to be a literal translation) like The Message or NLT. I'd probably also suggest an NIV through the Bible in one year Bible/devotional.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Actually, the "Paganism for Dummies" and "Idiot's Guide to Paganism" are both pretty good...for those just curious.

For Newbies seeking to maybe become Pagan...I'd suggest anything by Scott Cunningham and to avoid $ilver Ravenwolf.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Im posting anon because i don't feel like being bashed. I would suggest reading the satans bible. Its not what you think it is. Its actually about living your life the way you want it, the way that it makes you happy, instead of having boundaries because of what religion you chose. Satanist and devil worshipers are two different things just keep that in mind, and if you believe that then read the book it will change your mind.
    Anonymous