Going to bed the right way

Okay, I know this is a no-no but it's a habit that I started when he was very young and haven't been able to break. When my son goes down for a nap or for bedtime he gets juice. and I have a constant problem with his waking up wet. Which is obviously because he drank right before he fell asleep. I don't remember how this started but I know I need to stop so what I'm asking is... How do you put your lil ones down to sleep and avoid the screaming and all that?!?
His crib is set up like a daybed so I know if I don't give him juice he'll freak out and jump right out of bed and wont get the sleep he needs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I would do, because this is what I did with bedtime milk, is give it to him right before the bedtime routine begins at first. For us, that meant giving it downstairs before we went up for the bath... I told her before she got it that this was her bedtime milk, and then when she was looking for it right before lights out, I reminded her she had already had it. We switched this for tooth brushing purposes, and she never even really fussed about it. THen, later, when I wanted to potty train, I moved the cups of milk around so they would have a long time time clear out of the system before sleep; my 2 1/2 year old has a cup of milk when she first wakes up in the morning and when she first wakes up from her nap. But it's probably a good idea to cut that juice out completely. Chances are, once it's no longer associated with the bedtime, he'll forget about it.... Be firm!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Avoid it? Honey, in order to break him of this habit YOU are going to have to listen to screaming and crying. See, YOU ARE trained to be a lazy mom... he is NOT trained to want this. You have to see this difference and let it go. He will get over it. A couple nights are not going to hurt you.
    Anonymous

• I dont know what to tell you. My DD who just turned 2 still gets a cup of water and milk every night. Sometimes she drinks from it and sometimes she doesnt. i dont mind it right now because she isn't potty trained and wont be for a while. hoenstly if you really want to stop this than you are going to have to be forecful about it and if he does get out of bed then just keep going back in there and make him lay down. Yeah it's going to be tough at first but eventually he will get used to it.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 9:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• How do you get through it?

Earplugs.

Be his mother, not his friend.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Just stop giving it. It will be rough for a few nights or you can go to giving water and decrease the amount you give every night until he is going to be with an empty cup. I personally don't believe in sending them to bed with liquid. It isn't good for their teeth.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You are just going to have to stop... not only is it a bad habit... he's going to end up with rotten teeth. It's terrible to give sugary drinks before bed, it pools in the mouth and decays the teeth.

Set up a bed time routine... ours is bath then lights dim in the room while rocking and a couple of short stories then songs and then we put him to bed awake. He used to get milk during this time but after the routine was established we just got rid of the milk and he never asked for it.

For your son... offer water if he thinks he needs something to drink... if he won't take it don't give in. You're going to have to deal with the problem that was created and there will likely be some crying about it. But stay stong... after a couple of nights he'll know he won't get anymore juice.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I did this with my first and I am sorry you will have to listen to the screams its awful and it makes you fel so bad that you let the habit go on this long! My son was older so I say do it NOW....I did learn my lesson at 12mos my girls only had water:) Much easier..Actually my 19mos old doesn't take anything to bed.

You can slowly reduce the amt of juice but eventually he will get mad! I finally just went cold turkey because that did not work with my son but again he was older this stuff is easier the younger they are.My son was 2 1/2....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009