Which religion/beliefs do you find the most bizarre?

Since there are so many different sects under Christianity if that's your answer please be specific, like Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics, Baptists, etc. If you feel up to it, explain why.

SGG

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh thats easy !!! Atheism, I can usually get my head round to at least getting the jist behind most beliefs even the slightly odd ones LOL. I did a lot of reading before I became muslim and a lesser known belief (pretty kooky LOL ) had me fascinated for a while, not so much I bought it, just that it was all brand new thinking to me (yes it was really kooky LOL) , so it made me ask questions i never asked before lol.

BUT atheism i just dont get, I call them the "just by chance brigade", When I look to creation I see structure, design, complexity, diversity, sophistication, interdependent ecosysytems, Just to take a look at the human body , its a wonder of chemistry, That someone can look to this and think it all occurred just by chance blows my mind. BANG - one explosion and it leads to a highly ordered interelated universe "just by chance", to me thats crazy , all i ever imagine after an explosion is destruction and chaos.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 1:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• any of them that want to act as a cult
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Bible-only, fundamentalist, young Earth, Creationist Christians
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Probably Mormons mainly because of their baptisms of the dead. Now this is kind of made out of ignorance cause I only know hearsay.

Next to major faiths- I have to admit the faerries thing through me for a loop.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I watched something on Discovery (I think) yesterday about Amazonian headshrinkers. Now that's bizarre! Let's see if I can get this right......by shrinking the heads of their enemies they trap the soul to prevent it from doing harm or seeking vengence for it's death. Curators of museums that these Stantas (sp??) are in even have a relationship with the heads, as in talking with them, soothing them, etc....

Other than that the whole Flying Spaghetti Monster thing has me baffled. I like to eat my spaghetti, not worship it. Do you think someone just made this up for kicks? Or to poke fun at the absurdity of mainstream religion? :)

OP: SGG
    Anonymous

• meant 'threw me'. sorry
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Baptist, because (from my understanding) they bash other religions alot, even have entire sermons about how evil other people from other religions are. I can understand telling your ppl not to join another religion, but why do they have to put down and bash the other ones? The only times I have ever been told I am going to hell because I am not part of their faith is from Baptists, especially Southern Baptists.
    How can you preach love and being like Christ and then turn around and be so awful to other people? Doesn't add up.
    Anonymous

• "Bible-only, fundamentalist, young Earth, Creationist Christians "

Can you define this for me, Mamak?

SGG
    Anonymous

• my entire family consists of southern baptists...i hear it 24/7
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I wish I was Amish. Ahh.....the simple life. I've often wanted to ask questions of one, but I realize the chances of a post-Amish person being on Cafemom are probably slim to none!
    Anonymous