Christians..

The church I attend has both Catholic and Protestant services in the same building. There is a non-denominational bible study that meets weekly. Do you think this really means non-denominational as in every Christian or do you think it means non-denominational as in fundamentalism?

ave.maria.

Asked by ave.maria. at 9:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• well, regarding the church, I've never liked to call it "non-denominational," mainly because they themselves ARE a denomination. I prefer to call it Inter-Denominational...

But your Bible study could very well be non-denominational. Do they push certain ideals that are specific to a particular denomination? Like (and I can only give Catholic examples because that's what I am) the Eucharist, or Confession? Most likely if they stay vague and just talk about the Bible, it is non-denominational. IMO.
    p3rdone

Answer by p3rdone at 10:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• non denominational groups means they are not part of a said denomination....
    it may possibly be a charismatic group.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I have attended several churches that had almost tuned me away from "organized religon" they were either full of hipocrits, or more of a fashion show than a house of worship. Worse of all for me, was all the man made rituals thease churches had that had nothing to do with being one with God. I now attend a non-denominational church. It teaches the word of God without thyactrics, Has "a come as you are" policy as oposed to the suits and dresses of other churches, and I can honestly say that until I started going to that church, I had never met a real christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• ave maria, I'm not sure how to answer your question without knowing more about the particular study, and who is participating in it. I have participated in both protestant and Catholic studies (I'm Catholic). I was able to discern only a few times when the protestant study would bring up something different from what I believed as a Catholic. Also, I was lucky that the protestants studying with me understood that I was a Christian, and they weren't trying to convert me to a protestant denomination. If you can get a Catholic study going, I recommend the Great Adventure series by Jeff Cavins. It's great!
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 8:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2009