My breast milk doesnt look right....

over the last week my baby has been really fussy after he would nurse for a few minutes and would get really mouthy. He would stop nursing and would not eat... no matter how hard I tried. Also this morning after I managed to feed him he started to spit up a little and it came out really clear. Almost watery.... Then tonight while I was pumping for later use, my milk came out looking like cloudy water....

Does anybody have any advise? I thought about going to see my OB doctor in the morning, and pump while im there to show them... But I wanted to ask on here to see what you guys think or suggest I should do... I do not want to stop breast feeding yet, but I feel like I am being forced to cuz my baby is not nursing as long as he should and gets so fussy that I make a formula bottle for him to drink.

Please help me!!!

2008_MOMMy

Asked by 2008_MOMMy at 10:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could u be pregnant?
    Anonymous

• He could be reacting to something you are eating. And, your first milk is very waters - to quench the baby's thirst. The milk that comes later is fattier and richer. Whenever I pumped, it was super watery at first. Almost had a greenish tint to it sometimes. Will he nurse longer and completely empty you on one side?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• He is almost 2 months old now and never had any problem draining them before and it had always appeared normal when I had pumped b4..... But now I am just really confused.

He does not nurse long enough to drain either side and they have felt very light even when they are full....
    2008_MOMMy

Answer by 2008_MOMMy at 10:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• no i do not think i am pregnant. I have already started birth control ( the pill that I am allowed to take while breast feeding) and my husband and I have been using condoms every time we do have sex...

So no I do not think I am pregnant.
    2008_MOMMy

Answer by 2008_MOMMy at 11:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Weird. Wait around for gdiam to come answer this because my answer is not going to be 100% complete.

I do know sometimes my milk is watery than other times. The fore-milk is clearish, but usually once the hind-milk mixes in good my milk looks like a rich white and sometimes tinged blue which I know color-tinges are normal and related to diet.. but it's not usually totally clear. Usually at the end of a pumping session reall thickish milk comes out and it changes the clearish milk to definite white -- til it's been in the fridge, when the milk separates the bottom looks really clear and top will be heavy and white. How long are you pumping for?? 10 - 15 minutes atleast ?

Is it possible you guys have thrush and that is why baby does not want to nurse? Kellymom.com and look up thrush.
    Is it nipple confusion maybe? Did someone give baby a bottle a bunch of times?? If so you need to knock it off with the bottles.
    Anonymous

• Keep up the BF and throw away the bottles if you are committed. there are a million and 1 reasons why a baby can be fussy.  BM comes out thin at first and you should get some white milk at the end of the session. 

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• OK, the foremilk, the first part of your milk, is mostly WATER!! The hindmilk, which comes in after the baby has nursed for several minutes is thicker and darker, sometimes with a blue or green tint to it. The foremilk is for thirst, the hindmilk is for hunger. Try searching around kellymom.com. Or you can PM me with more question, there is also a lady on here who is a guru! She has a purple and pink avatar (last I know) hopefully she will answer as well. Relax, keep at it! SO WORTH IT!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• well I know that i am pumping for 15 - 30 minutes per-side and it doesnt get thicker.... that is why i was concerned... (because it is not like i am doing this for the first time. )

thank you everyone for all your helpful suggestions though...

and i do understand that the foremilk is more watery, but like I already mentioned this was the first time i noticed it looking very watery after i had finished pumping.... is there anything I can try to do to improve my milk flow? i do pump very often and my baby does nurse at least a little, if not then he drinks the milk I have pumped... it is only rarely that he does get formula....

but if u need more information or additional stuff ask and I will try to answer
    2008_MOMMy

Answer by 2008_MOMMy at 2:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You're normal. And so is baby. **grin** You will see differences in your breastmilk from time to time. And at baby's current age...fussy is the factory setting. Expect it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I think that this is pretty normal too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2009