My breast milk doesnt look right....

over the last week my baby has been really fussy after he would nurse for a few minutes and would get really mouthy. He would stop nursing and would not eat... no matter how hard I tried. Also this morning after I managed to feed him he started to spit up a little and it came out really clear. Almost watery.... Then tonight while I was pumping for later use, my milk came out looking like cloudy water....

Does anybody have any advise? I thought about going to see my OB doctor in the morning, and pump while im there to show them... But I wanted to ask on here to see what you guys think or suggest I should do... I do not want to stop breast feeding yet, but I feel like I am being forced to cuz my baby is not nursing as long as he should and gets so fussy that I make a formula bottle for him to drink.

Please help me!!!

Asked by 2008_MOMMy at 10:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could u be pregnant?

• He could be reacting to something you are eating. And, your first milk is very waters - to quench the baby's thirst. The milk that comes later is fattier and richer. Whenever I pumped, it was super watery at first. Almost had a greenish tint to it sometimes. Will he nurse longer and completely empty you on one side?

Answer by micheledo at 10:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• He is almost 2 months old now and never had any problem draining them before and it had always appeared normal when I had pumped b4..... But now I am just really confused.

He does not nurse long enough to drain either side and they have felt very light even when they are full....

Answer by 2008_MOMMy at 10:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• no i do not think i am pregnant. I have already started birth control ( the pill that I am allowed to take while breast feeding) and my husband and I have been using condoms every time we do have sex...

So no I do not think I am pregnant.

Answer by 2008_MOMMy at 11:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Weird. Wait around for gdiam to come answer this because my answer is not going to be 100% complete.

I do know sometimes my milk is watery than other times. The fore-milk is clearish, but usually once the hind-milk mixes in good my milk looks like a rich white and sometimes tinged blue which I know color-tinges are normal and related to diet.. but it's not usually totally clear. Usually at the end of a pumping session reall thickish milk comes out and it changes the clearish milk to definite white -- til it's been in the fridge, when the milk separates the bottom looks really clear and top will be heavy and white. How long are you pumping for?? 10 - 15 minutes atleast ?

Is it possible you guys have thrush and that is why baby does not want to nurse? and look up thrush.
    Is it nipple confusion maybe? Did someone give baby a bottle a bunch of times?? If so you need to knock it off with the bottles.

• Keep up the BF and throw away the bottles if you are committed. there are a million and 1 reasons why a baby can be fussy.  BM comes out thin at first and you should get some white milk at the end of the session. 

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• OK, the foremilk, the first part of your milk, is mostly WATER!! The hindmilk, which comes in after the baby has nursed for several minutes is thicker and darker, sometimes with a blue or green tint to it. The foremilk is for thirst, the hindmilk is for hunger. Try searching around Or you can PM me with more question, there is also a lady on here who is a guru! She has a purple and pink avatar (last I know) hopefully she will answer as well. Relax, keep at it! SO WORTH IT!

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• well I know that i am pumping for 15 - 30 minutes per-side and it doesnt get thicker.... that is why i was concerned... (because it is not like i am doing this for the first time. )

thank you everyone for all your helpful suggestions though...

and i do understand that the foremilk is more watery, but like I already mentioned this was the first time i noticed it looking very watery after i had finished pumping.... is there anything I can try to do to improve my milk flow? i do pump very often and my baby does nurse at least a little, if not then he drinks the milk I have pumped... it is only rarely that he does get formula....

but if u need more information or additional stuff ask and I will try to answer

Answer by 2008_MOMMy at 2:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You're normal. And so is baby. **grin** You will see differences in your breastmilk from time to time. And at baby's current age...fussy is the factory setting. Expect it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I think that this is pretty normal too.

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2009