When you hear stories like this how does it make you feel?

Just saw on CNN that little five year old Shaniya Davis has been found dead. Her mother and the mother's boyfriend apparently sold her into some sort of prostitution situation. Does something like this make you wonder why why WHY do children have to end up with people who mistreat them and yet there are so many homes/parents waiting that would have loved and cherished her...I don't mean to assign blame to God, because I know humans have free will but yet you just want to cry out "Why?"

"WHY are children born to the mentally ill or alcohol/drug addicted or plain old sane but evil people and not to people who would love and protect them?"

Maybe this is a question for the religious section. (Sobs)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• I think this is one of those questions that God will have to answer for us when we arrive in Heavan.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• There has to be some mental illness on the mother's part. That said though, it is very hard to hear of any child being hurt, but when you yourself would dearly love a daughter and someone else abuses theirs and throws her away, it is excruciating.
    Anonymous

• SICK BUT MONEY AGAIN
    Anonymous

• What does this really have to do with adoption? Not being snarky really but are you saying this in adoption because you assume people who abuse their kids were considering adoption but didn't do it? Most usually women who end up in adoption situations of their own choosing, its NOT because they would have abused or killed their kid. Child abusers really usually dont go "Huh, I dont want this kid. Maybe I should give it up for adoption...nah...I'll just be abusive & maybe kill it!". uh, No people that choose adoption LOVE their kids. People that kill them dont love them so adoption was not even in their minds.
    Anonymous

• Yep. And unfortunately this happens in bio, adoptive, foster and step families. My heart breaks at this story but why did you feel you had to post it in the adoption section?
    Anonymous

• OP here. Posted it here not to start a fight but just thinking how sad it is that children are in homes like that every day and yes of course it happens in adoptive, stepfamily etc. etc. etc. and yet somewhere out there they would have been cherished. Not thinking that their parents ever considered adoption, just that wouldn't it be nice if all homes like the one that killed Shaniya Davis were empty and that homes where kids could be taken care of would be full.

I swear they should just call this whole Q & A section the Debate Club instead. Not everything has to turn into a fight people.
    Anonymous

• Nobody is starting a fight with you. sheesh. just wondering WHY you chose the adoption section to post this. go write a journal then.
    Anonymous

• OP: you are right about this being the debate section, Unless you are bashing aparents you are not wanted here. (Ironically had this been an adoptive parent that killed this child, this situation would be linked 100 xs daily for about 10 years

I understand your point. There are lots of homes that would have taken that child (ie adoptive homes) so if you dont want to parent and will hurt the child, why not place her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I agree that there would be plenty of homes that would have taken this child, and it is always sad to a child abused in anyway. However most of us that relinquished our children did so because we loved and wanted the best for them.
    I think its a myth that people that don't want or love their children are intelligent enough to even consider adoption. If they don't love their children enough to care for them, they never gave a thought to adoption, probably also abortion never crossed their mind either. I don't know this particular families situation - poor, broken and abusive homes, families that pressured them to keep their child...(I know people like that...they are told you can never give children away that its just entirely wrong but they also don't care for them as they should in the end) Could be a slew of reasons, but I think mainly they are unstable to begin with - they never even gave a thought of the child.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• IMHO, this is more about the justice system and how it FAILS when it comes to deciding custody. Shaniya, seemingly had a Father that loved her dearly, yet he only had non-custodial rights,(meaning pay the child support ,see her every other week-end, buy her all the clothes, shoes, etc, then go back to your home, and wait til the next visit is due)! This is how we treat Fathers in divorces, and yes I am aware there are some pretty p**s poor excuses for Fathers out there, but there are just as many good ones too, and they are given no considertation when it comes to custody. Shanya had a Father that loved her, she was not in a fostercare situation, so it has nothing to do with Adoption, with exception to the fact, that there is many many Shaniyas' whom NEED parents to love them, and this is what adoption should be about, not newborn infants whom already have parents/family to love them...JMHO , C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2009