My 18 Month Olds Development

My daughter was born 7 weeks premature and I would like to know if her development is on target for her age group. I understand that I should go by her due date and not her actual birth date, however she has hit all her milestones at the approriate times for her actual birthday. She said her first word at 4 months and was rolling over both ways by 7 months. She rolled from front to back at 5 months but hated being on her tummy so she didn't roll from back to tummy untill 7 months. She sat although at 6 months and was able to sit up by herself complety unassisted at 7 months. She started rolling to get around at 7 months but did not crawl untill 12 months and lastly she walked at 14 months. I'm concerned about her talking though, she can say up to 20 words but she normally only says about three to five words daily. She knows what to do with everyday objects also. Can open doors and run. Anyone else have preemie like mine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think she sounds right on to me... she would be corrected about 16 months which is the same age as my son. And the things that you say she is doing is what my son is doing as well... like walking, running, opening and closing doors, naming objects or finding them when asked where they are, and he also says about 20 words... he doesn't say all of his everyday either, just a handful of them.

This link has helpful info on the milestones she should meet by 2 years
    http://www.aap.org/publiced/BK0_DevMile_2Yrs.htm
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Not sure what your question is here... Are you asking if all preemies are usually normally developed like yours obviously is? I mean, there obviously isn't a problem in your child's development. She's right on target. By 18 mos, there is a huge range of "development" that is considered normal. Some "normal" children don't talk until age 2, some talk at 9 mos. Some walk at 10 mos, others don't walk till 16 mos. So... I'm not sure what you are asking.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think 20 is considered normal, maybe even a little more then normal.

We stopped counting DD's words at 17.5 months. Our list was up to 500+ words then, that she could say and use in the correct context. I think that's pretty unusual. She's 19 months now and she'll regularly say 5 to 10 word sentences. She says 4 syllable words no problem too, her pronunciation is pretty amazing.
    Anonymous

• I was just wondering what age other people's preemies hit their milstones at and how many words their 18 month old says. My mother keeps saying my daughter doesn't talk enough and I wondered if she was right. She has said 20 words but most of this words, she has said only 1 time. Today she said, Hi, Mommy, mama, grand mama, ahpapa(grandpa) dog, no no. Usually though she onlys says hi and mama on a dialy basis while sometimes, out of the blue saying and new world. If I ask her to say a word she usually just runs away and laughs. She is very stubborn though. She has said two sentances, "I got it" and " is Doggie ball"( This doggie ball). So my actual questions were, do I go by her actual birthdate or her due date when counting her milestones, and what ages did other preemies hit their milstone, exspicially in language?
    McKennasmama08

Answer by McKennasmama08 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You will use her adjusted age until she is two. By the time she is 2 years (adjusted) she should have about 50 words and starting to use 2-3 word phrases.

If you have concerns, call Early Intervention. My youngest just finished a year in speech therapy and went from being severely delayed (ZERO words) to being declassified!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My son was born 6 weeks premature. Your daughter is wildly far ahead of where my son was at the same age. 20 words by 18 months is normal. I dont' think you have anything to worry about developmentally.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• A 15 month old should say 5 words. Your LO is perfectly fine!
    Anonymous