Do you agree with the Government Task Force Findings?

According to this new task force report, researchers claim there are no lifesaving benefits to doing self or clinical breast exams at all. Higgins disagrees and says the best way a woman can beat breast cancer, is to find it early. "The American Cancer Society strongly believes that our guidelines are able to find cancer at it's earliest stage when it's most treatable and you can get the most benefit from treatment.

The new screening guidelines, issued on Monday by the Preventive Services Task Force of the Department of Health and Human Services, recommend against routine screening mammography in women 40 to 49. They would scale back screening for women 50 to 74, to every OTHER year from annually.

The American Cancer Society, however~ is sticking by its original guidelines. It's not clear how these new guidelines will affect insurance yet.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you think findings like this impact any future planned Government enforced health care plans?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/health/17scre.html

http://www.wrex.com/Global/story.asp?S=11517027

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Oh, eff them. Seriously. We got five more years with my grandma because of her routine mammogram.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Let's see... My mother survived it twice, by doing breast exams. She ended up with a double mastectomy, but it could have been worse.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I am 30 and was diagnosed with breast cancer at 28. I found a lump doing my monthly breast exam. I went to a breast specialist and got a mammogram and a breast biopsy. I had three tumors that were malignant and one lymph node had cancer. I had a mastectomy and chemo and am doing well the odds are in my favor my cancer will not return because of early detection and a mammogram.   I wonder how many younger women will die because of this? Is this more of the great care we can expect if ObamaCare passes?

Anonymous

• Sounds to me like the government would rather push back mammograms and early detection screenings to the point where it may be too late to do anything, thereby saving millions of dollars on treatments--since the women would be in too advanced a stage to do anything about it, and their treatments could be denied.

The reason breast cancer is not an automatic death sentence these days is BECAUSE of screenings and mammograms. This administration would like nothing than to set our medical advancements back to the 1800's!!!

Can ObamaCare supporters SEE how government health care will take a "back-handed" approach to the costs of providing subsidized health care for all with just this single example?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Its in the plans. Gov rationing.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Oh come on ladies you can trust the government...they just truely care about all of us (great sarcasm)

Yeah this doesnt surprise me at all..bunch of jackarses
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'm not surprised at all by these "findings". And, yes, I'm sure they will be used to limit proactive treatments such as mammograms and other early screenings of other cancers.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I have had 6 suspicious lumps removed (both breasts). Four of them I found and 2 were found by mammogram. ALL were found and removed before age 40.

The "girls" get a monthly check and an annual mammogram.

I am not considered in a "high risk" category.

I think this is just a portent of the things to come. MR OBAMA PLEASE REMOVE YOUR HANDS FROM MY BREASTS....don't get any ideas about any other body parts either.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2009