How much should i be drinking?

I'm breast feeding and have never really thought about it before but what and how much of it should I be drinking. I don't really like water. I drink grape juice I get from WIC. I also drink tea. I know I shouldn't drink a lot of caffeine but I just can't help it.

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-calories-fluids.html

It is not necessary to force fluids; drinking to satisfy thirst is sufficient for most mothers. Pay attention to your body's signals - busy mothers often ignore thirst if there is nothing nearby to drink – try to keep a drink near where you usually breastfeed baby or at your desk at work. Signs that you are not getting enough fluids include concentrated urine (darker, stronger smelling than usual) and constipation (hard, dry stools).

Unless you are severely dehydrated, drinking extra fluids is not beneficial, may cause discomfort, and does not increase milk supply.

For mothers who are engorged, attempting to reduce breastmilk oversupply, or weaning – research has shown that decreasing fluids does not reduce engorgement or suppress milk supply.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Is the caffiene making your baby fussy? Can you maybe drink decaf tea or a herbal tea? Drink to satisfy thirst. If you drink too much water it can decrease your milk supply.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No the caffine doesn't seem to be bothering her.she is only a few days old.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2009