don't know what to do

okay both of my kids have been sick....fevers,runny noses,belly aches,sore throats,headaches,diarrhea,coughs...blah blah blah my son is doing much better and his cough is getting better my 1 year old has been diagnosed with croup and given steroid and cough medicine but it seems that her cough is getting worse after 3 days on the treatment...she was nose swabbed for swine flu and it was negative but i don't get it cuz a lot of ppl aren't even tested and just presumed to have it and supposedly the nose swab is only about 50% accurate?? ...y isn't my one yr old given tamiflu?? she has all the symptoms, anyways, i'm concerned with her cough and all the media hype about children dying and am afraid that shes going to take a quick turn for the worse and end up in the hospital or worse (paranoid...i know)going back to MD 2mor.. should i push for tamiflu or chest xray?? or am i overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Girl you demand them to do something. That is your child.. And they need to know your concerns. Stand up! :)
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 11:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If she is getting worse I would go back in, she might have developed a pneumonia... which happens often with viral illnesses
    As for the influneza... did they do a rapid test for it? If they told you the results that same day then it wasn't a test for H1N1 it was for Influneza A and B... and often time people that have H1N1 are positive for INfluneza A... but not everyone. If it took several days for the results then they may have infact tester her for H1N1 and I would assume that she doesn't have it (although some people get false negatives)
    Treating her with Tamiflu at this point would be pointless. It's not the same as an antibiotic... and she is well into the illness that it wouldn't do much good. Most people aren't given Tamiflu unless they are high risk (like underlying health history) or are so sick they need to be in the hospital.
    We are so focused on H1N1 we forget about all the other normal childhood illnesses
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• As far as I know Tamiflu is not really going to lessen her symptoms that much. Maybe by a day if she had taken it in the 24 hour window. It's not a miracle drug.

You're right the rapid test can often be a false negative.

If you feel she is struggling to breath, fever is getting worse after going away...extreme lethargy etc...then go in. Swine flu is a viral illness and just like any virus there can be a secondary infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I am sorry I meant 48 hour window with Tamiflu not 24.
    Anonymous

• If she's not getting better, then you need to take her to the ER.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Get some elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• tamiflu is overrated. and it's entirely possible it's not the flu. there are many stomach bugs that make their way around. And it's possible to have different illnesses back to back or at the same time due to the weakend immue system when already sick. Mine had a stomach bug, then broncitis immediately after. It happens. If the cough is getting worse, there could be several reasons. One, your child is draining more and therefor coughing more. Two, there's an infection in the lungs or just a lot of mucus in the lungs. Three, you say she croup. The cough can seem to get worse after the steroid treatments due to lungs opening up and being able to cough up the mucus. Which means the "worse" sounding cough could be a good thing. In any case, if you are concerned, talk to your doc. Make sure he addresses your concerns or find antoher doctor. They should be willing to explain things to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My daughter developed pneumonia after having croup when she was 20 months old. The doctor told me I was being a hysterical mother, but I was right. If you seriously think something else is wrong, get her back to the doctor and insist on further tests.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009