New baby!

I have one daughter, and she is just about the coolest thing! She lights up my life and my DH is happier when he looks at her than I've ever seen him. I should be jealous of his adoration for her...he never looked at me like that...but I'm not. :0) Anyway, we are expecting baby number two in May. Part of me thinks "twice the love" but I'm really feeling kind of sad too. It almost seems like having another will take something away from what I have with dd. And all at the same time...I'm worried I'll never be able to feel this overwhelmingly in love with another baby. I guess with both issues...it's a matter of not even being able to FATHOM loving someone as strongly as I love DD now. So I'm scared that either A. DD will lose some of that love cuz she'll have to share it or B. The new baby won't get nearly as much cuz it's all being hogged by dd! I know it's silly, but has anybody else worried about this?

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am not even TTC other children but I worry about this a lot. I grew up in a house hold where the adults had favorites and it hurt a lot. Part of me just wants one kid for this reason.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Nooo, from all the moms I've ever talked to, this is just a phase! It's just as easy to love baby #2 as it is baby #1. It's crazy but you'll see that you love them just the same, you'll love every new baby just as you loved the first, and the good part about that is you'll see you had more love than you knew.
    Anonymous

• To explain: Light a candle. It's all bright and pretty, like your love for your DD. Now take another candle and light it from the first candle. Did it take any of the brilliance or beatuty from the first one? Is it just a beautiful as the first one? This is the second baby's love. It doesn't take anything from the first one, and it's just as much.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• One of my friends is pregnant and she is worried about this exactly! I told her that she has much more love than she realizes, but in all honesty . . . . I also want another child, but I am afraid about this very same thing and so is my husband. And moonlover, my parents had favs too, so you know what that means . . . we know how it feels and we would NEVER do that to our own children.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Paganmama...that was just about the prettiest thing I've ever heard. lol
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i always think about this. and i honestly never felt that my dad- he raised my sister and me- ever loved one more than the other. but, i am very worried about my love being equal for my second child compared to the love i have for my son. i love every second i spend with him- even the screaming and crying ones, so i have decided another baby doesnt serve our best interest right now. i would be sad if it wasnt just him anymore. my bff thinks im crazy when i say that, but i just feel like i need more time with just him and im not ready to share it with another baby yet. but, i agree with paganmama also, because i know with my nieces, i love each one with all my heart. love is just a crazy thing and just when you think there might not be enough you will have so much to give. good luck with your new baby and your DS:)
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Everyone thinks they only have one pie of love to share and you keep cutting it up and dividing it every time you begin to love someone new in your life, in reality if you love someone the right way they all get their own pie. Right now I've got two pies for my family (husband and son) and one in the oven, it sounds like you do too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My kids are 4 years apart which I think helped, by the time Kaylana was coming Nick was a big boy and he was getting to be a big brother and got to be our helper, so he had no concerns about not being the baby and losing time and we were very careful to give both the kids lots of attention. We love them both like crazy and even now at 4 and 8 we each take specials days with one of them and things, so they are both getting lots of love from both of us, its not just girls going out or the boys going out or one child being favored by one parent. And there really is so much love within a parent is amazing
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 12:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2009