Why would my 9 month old be waking up SCREAMING in the middle of the night and waking up twice after 4 months of not waking?

He hasn't screamed much since he was a NB, I mean he has his anger fits when I'm trying to change his diaper because he wants to be on the go but this is not the same.

He's been waking up at 1 - 2 am screaming bloody murder and then I jump out of bed, nurse him, he sortof calms down and I try to calm him down, but yesterday I just got fed up with this, I needed a minute, and laid him down, and after a wimper for about 2 seconds literally - he went right back to sleep. The night before that I held him and held him and he still screamed, but I laid him down last night and he went right back to sleep.

He also hadn't woke up in the night since he was 5 months old now he is waking up again, twice - once in the wee hours and once at around 5 am.

What is going on?

Is it teething? But why would teething make him scream like that at 1 am? And why would laying him down be better than holding him? Should I go to the dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• night terrors maybe?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son did this and the pediatrician said it was night terrors.
    It was scary because he just wouldn't stop and then I would cry because I couldn't get him calmed down. That started him sleeping in our bed once she told me he was TERRIFIED.
    It's sad to see that happen.
    Good luck.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• OP) I didn't even think of night terrors!! Ugh.

I can't co-sleep. I have night terrors and have been known to attack people.

The good thing is I never remember my night terrors so hopefully he does not remember them in the morning ?
    Anonymous

• I chose to believe my son didn't remember them.
    It made me feel too bad to think otherwise.
    It was horrible when she told me that me trying to comfort him made him sometimes scream louder and "freak out" more because I was probably becoming whatever was scaring him in his dream.
    It was an awful time.
    I hope this doesn't last for you.
    My son is now 16 and has never had sleeping issues or bad dream problems since.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2009