I am wondering if Christians ever come to a point where they say NOW I GET IT?

I know many of you grow up learning about your religion, but was there ever a point you went out and looked on your own?

I did. I appreciate my parents teaching me, but I had to learn for myself as I got older.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think every child raised in a Christian home must do that. Otherwise they are just practicing their parents faith and often that's not enough in hard times. I believe my 14 year old maybe going through a bit of this herself. She is asking hard questions, questioning the "rules" or the "doing" side of Christianity. You know why is ....wrong? Why does God allow .....to happen. It's a healthy process but hard to watch as a parent.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It is only natural for you to want to walk outside the box of the religion that you were brought up in... I was brought up in a Lutheran home, church/Sunday school/ bible classes the whole shot, but after moving out on my own I put religion on the back burner for many yrs, then my children came along and I started right where I left off in the same Lutheran church. But as my children got older, the whole of religion to me wasn't clicking... different demons, studying harder, different christian secs, nothings fit ... so I stepped outside the box and started reading, searching, and found what I am today... It isn't harmful to want to look, to learn of others, in many cases the person looking becomes stronger within their own faith, and is more knowledgeable of others... I just choose not to return to the Christian faith...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yes, I was raised Catholic but was poorly catechized (educated in the faith). I investigated on my own as an adult, and also through classes and bible studies, with other denominations as well. I came to believe on my own that yes, I am a Christian, and yes, I am Catholic. I still enjoy learning more about Jesus, the Church, and my faith. I still say "NOW I GET IT" when I am investigating something new to me about the history of Christianity, etc.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 8:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yes. I didn't "get it" until I was 29.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I didn't get it until I was 43. And then it wasn't the answer that religion was giving me. It was the answer that atheism was giving me.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• thanks CHRISTIANS

when ya gonna learn to read |itch i mean witch
    Anonymous

• Oh absolutely!!! I struggled with the idea of pain and suffering for the longest time. It was a huge obstacle. Now I get it - but it was a progress.
    shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 9:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2009