Depression after a hysterectomy? How did you cope?

I'm am 29 with 5 children, and recently had a hysterectomy that I fear is sending me into sort of a depression. How did you cope with your own hysterectomy? How old were you when you had it done?

TLCmommaof5

Asked by TLCmommaof5 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Health

• I was also 29. I only have one child though. So, that made it hard at first, knowing that I would never have any more. Did they take your ovaries? If so you need hormone replacement, however they took mine and I have yet to get hormones. It has been almost 7 years, and I am fine with things. The first few weeks I was kind of sad, but God gave me one son, I thanked him for that.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Luckily he left my ovaries. The problem was with my uterus, ovaries were fine.
    TLCmommaof5

Answer by TLCmommaof5 at 1:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I had a hysterectomy when I was 38 (still have my ovaries).  I never suffered from depression though.  On the contrary, I was happy that my problems were finally over and when I recovered I could move on with my life.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2009