Has anyone benifited from homeschooling their children rather than putting them in school?

I am thinking about homeschooling my son through an online Charter school. He is having trouble concentrating in class and comes home everyday not knowing what he has learned. I feel that I have to reteach him everything all over again for him to understand the material.I think he can benefit academically by learning at home, but am worried about the social aspect of it.
Has anyone who has home schooled find their kids having trouble socializing with others and making friends. How do you deal with it?How do you keep them active with others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in

• Benefited
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well you can find other home school families in your area and get togther with them. You can still get him in sports so he will get the social interaction that way. GL
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I started homeschooling my oldest when she started 4th grade, she's in 8th now and prior to homeschooling her she was in a public school. My younger 2 have been homeschooled all the way through.
    My Girls are socially different then public school kids, and I would say that homeschooled kids in general are different then public school kids. I think the differences are a plus though. The main difference is that instead of just learning to interact with people in your own grade, you're learning to interact with everyone.
    What you'll want to do is get involved with some local homeschool groups and activities. There are all sorts of groups these days. Your son will meet lots of other homeschooled kids. You'll meet parents (mostly moms) who are dealing with the same sorts of things you are. Our lives are much more social now then they were before homeschooling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Two of my 3 that I homeschool have never stepped foot in a public school as a student and the 3rd only attended for one year. They have no problems with making friends or acting like normal children and we don't belong to a homeschooling group. Neither are we secluded. One son attends an archery class every week and they all attend Wednesday night programs at a local church. They play with neighborhood kids of all ages.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Thank you. I appreciate the help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I've homeschooled my two for the last seven years. Both my sons thrive academically and socially.

My boys are currently in an outdoor program with 15 other boys, only one who is homeschooled. I know my sons have made friends in the program, but I asked my oldest if he gets hassled about being homeschooled. He said "No one gives me a hard time. If fact, everyone thinks Jake is really cool, and he is homeschooled like us. So they think we are cool too." lol That made me happy.

If you are thinking about homeschooling, check out the Happy Homeschoolers group here on CM. Over 6000 members to give advice and support.

Good luck!

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• thank you for the info.....this all helps out so much to hear your opinions
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My kids have never been to school and don't have any trouble socializing. Not only do they not have trouble socializing with kids their own age, they also have little difficulty talking to kids who are younger than them, older than them, adults, and elderly people. I think this is primarily because my kids don't spend the majority of their time in groups of kids who are exactly the same age as them. They are around people of all ages almost daily, so it's just natural for them. I've noticed that homeschooled kids' friendships are often more varied because they tend to make friends based on common interests, not on who is or is not in their class. So, my kids have friends from dance, music, gaming, homeschool group, etc. And they are often of various ages and genders. Help your son find activities he really enjoys about and he will automatically have opportunities to make friends with others who have similar interests.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

Next question in
Why can't...

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
toddler bed