concerned....

okay so my sister is preggy with twins:) and we are real excited, they are identical boys!anyway im sure she knows what her dr is sayin or if she heard him right, but now she has to go see a specialist becuz he wants to make sure that the umbilical cords dont get tangled at birth so he knows to do a c-section, anyways she seems to think he said something about sharing an umbilical cord becuz cutting it to one baby may take oxygen from the other. Do you know what she is talkin about? I have no idea and does this happen with conjoined twins? HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• About 1 percent of babies are born with one or more knots in the umbilical cord (1). Some knots form during delivery when a baby with a nuchal cord is pulled through the loop. Others form during pregnancy when the baby moves around. Knots occur most often when the umbilical cord is too long and in identical-twin pregnancies. Identical twins share a single amniotic sac, and the babies' cords can become entangled.

As long as the knot remains loose, it generally does not harm the baby. However, sometimes the knot or knots can be pulled tight, cutting off the baby's oxygen supply. Cord knots result in miscarriage or stillbirth in 5 percent of cases (1). During labor and delivery, a tightening knot can cause the baby to have heart rate abnormalities that are detected by fetal monitoring. In some cases, a cesarean delivery may be necessary. http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_4546.asp
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I assume the doctor was talking about a shared placenta..i am part of identical twins, we were in one sack and sharing the same placenta. There are more risks involved with these types of twins.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• oh my sisters twins are not conjoined, however it was her mother-in-law to put this idea in her head and make her worry! We were just wondering if this meant they could be...but in all her ultrasounds I dont see anything indicating that they are...
    Anonymous

• Conjoined twins should be obvious on the ultrasound, I'm guessing that the doctors are talking about possible issues where one of the twins is not getting enough nutrition, it happens with identical twins, especially those that share a placenta.
    My sister and i were premature and i was more than a pound heavier than her when we were born, she was in the NICU longer than i was for that reason
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009