I am wondering...

Will I go to hell for following a religion I do not have faith is following the bible? They aren't doing anything bad it's just some of the rules I do not read the bible as I have to follow them. That the church got them wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sorry, but I honestly don't understand your question...it seems a few words are missing?

But here's my basic belief: If you've accepted Jesus as your savior and love your neighbor as yourself and do unto others ass you would have them do unto you...you're heaven bound. Even if tyou NEVER read the bible.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• That's not how I understood how I was raised and I don't feel that certain things are true of what I was taught I read the bible differently I guess. But I was wondering if I would go to hell for abstaining from things I do not feel I have to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Consider what Jesus said at Matthew 7: 21-23, “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness."
    You must check what you are told against what the Bible actually teaches and act in accord with what you learn there. If you can tell the religion you are currently assocaiting with is not teaching the truth, get out now and keep looking!
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 5:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• "They aren't doing anything bad"

How do you know if you don't read your Bible? It misght not feel 'bad' to you but they could very well be doing plenty BAD in God's eyes. Get studying your Bible Momma.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• What religion is this?

Makes me think of the awesome "The B-i-b-l-e, that's the book for me!"

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We are to do what God tells us to do. Adding to AND taking away from the Scripture is wrong.

Read your Bible carefully. If your congregation isn't doing what it should be doing, speak to your elders or church leaders. If they won't see their error and repent, you need to consider changing churches to find one that does follow the Bible.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It isn't necessary to read the bible right now. Even if you find a translation you can understand like the NIV, some of the rules that contradict themselves will be confusing to you. Plus, it is full of a lot of negative and violent punishments (god liked the word death for just about every transgression from adultery to sassing your parents) that don't apply in today's world. If you have a question about a certain belief, go to biblegateway.com--or a similar site--and put in a keyword search. It will give you the verses pertaining to that subject and put them into context. This site includes many bible translations, the book of mormon, the koran, the torah, and several other holy books. The problem with a lot of churches is that they make up rules that have no biblical basis. You need to be careful.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You said "will I go to hell for abstaining from things the bible doesn't say I have to abstain from" What do you mean? I do not think vegetarians will go to hell for abstaining from meant, the bible doesn't say you have to. But surely it isn't a sin.

Anonymous

• "The problem with a lot of churches is that they make up rules that have no biblical basis. You need to be careful."

This is exactly why she needs to read the Bible. There are no contradictions in the Bible. And the Bible is not as confusing as you seem to be implying. Yes, the Israelites did have some harsh penalties for various offenses, but Christians are not bound by the Old Covenant. We live under the New Covenant. The answer is to read and study. Know what is the truth for yourself. Don't take anyone else's word for it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• All we can do is our best. Even if we don't understand scripture, we don't have to. Stick to basics - know, love and serve God the best you can with what understanding you have. God is just and merciful...
    shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 9:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009