Mixing holiday traditions and creating our own?

Well, DH and I come from families who do things TOTALLY different for the holidays (just about all of the holidays, actually). Anyway, how do we mix our families' traditions? And how do we create our own without our relatives thinking we didn't like theirs? DH is pretty much just a "Whatever you want" kind of guy, but he also always throws in the "My family used to do this..." when I ask him what he thinks of an idea. I want to mix our families traditions so that our kids can have the best of both of them, as well as create a few for ourselves. Any ideas to start off with for Christmas and Thanksgiving?

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 4:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• I don't think both sides of the family should have a say how you spend the holidays. With that being said, why don't you and your husband talk about the traditions you both like from both families and decide which ones you would like to keep within your own. From there, if you want to add other traditions you can. My husband didn't really have a lot of traditions growing up. In my family we always have Ham and Turkey and tons of other foods for Thanksgiving. The day after Thanksgiving we put up our tree and do all the decorations. Christmas Eve we make cookies and open one present. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

On a side note. We should def. get together sometime!! :)
    kems26

Answer by kems26 at 5:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It is YOUR family (you,dh and kids) and what I would do is start your own traditions your way with a bit of family thrown in for taste...
    Ask your dh something about his childhood holiday tradition and try to input it in your own and the same with your side... but make sure that the tradition is all your families so that your children can use it as a base to start their own when the time comes...
    For instance if you get your tree after Thanksgiving, but the other families don't, so what... that is what YOUR tradition is about, maybe adding a new orinament ea yr for ea child can become part of your own tradition... baking cookies together on a certain day....
    Just do what is fun for you and yours and add a bit of a twist of the family into it if you like it's YOUR traditions not your families....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2009