how long is to long to breast feed

ive been breast feeding my son since day one and he is now almost 8months old he got teeth at 4months but i decided not to let that stop me from breast feeding but im not sure when to stop my mother nursed my lil sis til 3years old but that is just to long i think. so what should i do i want to try to do it til hes a year old is that to long?

spookshowbaby

Asked by spookshowbaby at 5:39 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well a year is definitely not too long. A year is a good goal. If you stopped before that, you would have to use formula (not that it's horrible to do so). Nurse for as long as you and your child want to. Whether that's 12 mos, 18 mos, 2 years, whatever you are comfortable with. I don't think there is a time when it's too long as long as you are following your child's lead.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• "Too long" is when mother and child no longer want to do it.
    The average age for weaning (world-wide) is about 4 years, so depending on your preferences, you can continue for a while, if you like.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• When ever you feel that you are done.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Great job and keep going!! At the rate you are going, a year will be easy! Do it as long as you can and want to.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You say 3 years is to long...now. I was planning on nursing for 1 year, when 1 year came it was 18 months then that passed...and it was 2 years I ended up nursing till my son was 32 months. I quit because I had to go on medication for kidney disease. It seems crazy till your in the spot of doing it, but then its your baby and your doing whats right for your baby. There is no set age, just comfort level. I personally miss the bonding I had with him when I nursed.

ajnattysmommy

Answer by ajnattysmommy at 7:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You have to listen to what is right for you with that particular child. You will know 100% when it's a good time, for whatever reason, for you both to stop nursing. No time it TOO long though, so long as you and your child have a need for it, IMO.
    JES xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 7:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• A year is not too long! The WHO advices to nurse for at least 2 years!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My daughter will be 3 in Jan and we are still nursing. I thought 1 year was going to drag on but it flew by. Before I knew it I wasn't nursing a tiny baby anymore but an active toddler. I just took it a day at a time and she every day she was just 1 day older. We'll be weaning soon because I am done but it will be bitter sweet.

WHO recomends a minimum of 2 years.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• When you're nursing your daughter while she's nursing hers.

To be a little bit more serious, there really isn't a moment when it suddenly becomes too long. It's best to nurse for at least six weeks if you can, because babies need it the absolute most in those first few precious weeks of life. Then six months is another major milestone... that's the point at which baby can start really eating solids. After six months, they still get protection from colds/viruses/diseases from mom, they just don't need it as much as they did before.

A standard goal is through the first year. At 12 months of age, they can be transitioned from breast milk to cow's milk instead of formula. I personally prefer to avoid formula. I nursed my daughter until she was 14 months; I wanted to go the 2 years recommended by the WHO (and others), but I wanted to try getting pregnant more and I wasn't ovulating. I don't think 3 years would have worked for us.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2009