Would it bother you if your 15 yr old dd's (in school) bf was politically incorrect and intolerant?

He continually speaks angrily about hating Obama and and that he's just going to help minorities and they will take over the country..whites will lose their rights..his Dad will lose his disability...Mexicans will get "her education". This boy's Dad even commented about a field trip to an Indian Culture museum, "What do they need to learn about that for?"(race acceptance) I have commented that that those views sound ignorant and she's being coerced by bf to think like him. He let off for when they almost broke up, but now he's at it again...we can tell by comments by DD at the dinner table, "Everyone hates Obama". I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but we feel our DD's learning to accept what this guy says without question because she likes him. She was never political before...we are moderate. Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• my kids are 1 and 3, and when they go on their obama rants... geez, watch out! J/K! anyways, im 24 and remember having boyfriends and being into what they were interested in- even if id never heard of it before meeting them. i was trying to impress them. one time i had a boyfriend who loved old cars- and then magically i "loved" them too and would tell my mom "look, isnt that corvette beautiful i want one", even though i really didnt. they will most likely not be together forever, and she will find her own opinion one day. and i bet when they break up, you will never here a thing about "obama this, obama that" again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Personally, I would just let her rant to the point you feel where it's becoming disrespectful of your home. So long as she is just complaining, as most of America is, I would let it be.
    If you try to argue with her, she will see it as you disapproving of him and that usually leads to her liking him more.
    I agree with Anon :24 that she is into whatever her current boyfriend is and will develop her own opinions in time.
    I really caution not to make too much of it.
    I guess you can try to see the silver lining and that might be that she is hearing about current political issues (even if it's one sided) so she is more aware of what every one on the news is gabbing about. Most teens have ZERO clue.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It sounds like a good opportunity to showcase what you DO believe and WHY. Maybe your daughter is looking for you to provide some "counter programming" against her BF and his idiot father.

I would not put up with racial insensitivity or my daughter dating a bigot.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Why don't you question her on why she says that, what makes her believe them? Have a political discussion at the dinner table and talk to her like a grown-up, and let her feel like a dummy if she realizes she doesn't have anything to back up her claims. That's what would happen if she does the same thing at college in a few years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Ugh! Yes it would bother me. I would wonder why and how the hell my child could accept being with such a hateful intolerant person. Hopefully I will never have to deal with that.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Wouldn't bother me at all because it sounds like the kid is on top of his game and knows exactly what's really going on in this country.
    He could be more tactful, but what teen-ager couldn't use a little more tact.
    It's great he isn't afraid to speak his mind.
    People who's views are the opposite of his sure seem to have loud enough voices, why shouldn't he have the same right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• the fact that you feel being politically incorrect is a bad thing, worries me more than having a child date a bigot...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well, she obviously needs to hear an educated opinion. When he or she says something like that retaliate "You clearly have no idea what you are talking about because --% of Americans support Obama." Point out that he wouldnt be elected if no one like him. Get stratistics on tolerance and the president support and be prepared to sling facts so she will realize her bf is really just some kid with an attitude problem.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Hey, Obby, when a 15 year old kid rants and raves about our horrid government and makes racially intolerant comments, and then sits around playing video games all day and not much more, I challenge you to accept that kind of racial intolerance coupled with the "do nothing but complain" attitude, and if you do, then I fear for your kids and our society as a whole. It's downright ignorant!
    Anonymous

• This says a lot about how your moderate upbringing is causing her to not be strong in her own beliefs and can be overwhelmed by someone with strong beliefs even if his beliefs are wrong.
    Anonymous