This is for the nurses- AICD & V-FIB?

My husband has an AICD (pacemaker/defibrilator combo). Last night he scared me a little. He complained a little about haveing tightness in his chest while he was asleep and then a few hours later, he was in full REM, he started gurgling like he was going to vomit.

I am aware that vomiting is accociated with heart attacks and usually once it happens the person flatlines and rarely recovers.

My question is ' if he does have a heart attack or stroke and his heart stops, what is the best way to do CPR since he has the box in his chest?'

He doesn't like to talk about it because he's afraid to upset me but at I'm the one who needs to know these things. He wouldn't even let me give him asprin last night while his chest was hurting.

Thanks

rissah

Asked by rissah at 7:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Health

• cardiology never my strong point, but the unit should be there to perform any cardioversions so you don't have to. not many patients make it back from Ventricular Fibrillation and that's why the unit is placed directly on the heart and monitors it 24/7.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Address this with your husbands Specialist - Cardiologist . Schedule an appointment to see him/her.  If your Husband does not wish to go to the appointment then you go by yourself or with a family member or best friend.  It is good to have a second ear.  Bring your concerns to his attention. Ask him what you need to do in the event.  If your husband does not wish to discuss it, let him know that you need to have peace of mind with his medical condition. The appointment is necessary as you are not only his wife but also his CAREGIVER. You do not want to feel helpless nor do not want  this on your conscience that you never attended to him in a life threatening situation. The Specialist should show you what you need to do in the event . Make sure your questions are on paper so that you will have them answered. If you come up with questions later can you email them or is it best to call him/her.
    delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 8:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• After talking to him this morning (he had already gone to work before I got up with the kids) he doesn't even remember anything happening. I told him what he said and did and all he said is "that's why I feel weird and had a bad taste in my mouth when I woke up".

His job is stressful so I try not to put too much pressure on him about anything at home but when it comes to his health he just makes jokes. I try not to freak out when things happen but I am super cautious over him especially when he's sleeping.
    rissah

Answer by rissah at 11:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2009