What are your opinions about this?

SAVANNAH, Ga. – An Army cook and single mom may face criminal charges after she skipped her deployment flight to Afghanistan because, she said, no one was available to care for her infant son while she was overseas.

Spc. Alexis Hutchinson, 21, claims she had no choice but to refuse deployment orders because the only family she had to care for her 10-month-old son — her mother — was overwhelmed by the task, already caring for three other relatives with health problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I saw this in one of my groups and replied:

I was actually let out of the Army with a Hardship Discharge because I was in the same situation.

I was a single parent and at the time, my mother (who was named in the family care plan) was in an abusive relationship with this drug addict and there was no way I was going to send my child to her while I away! I had no one else to leave her with.

They were very understanding, gave me no crap about it and let me out just like that. Of course, this was back in 94 when they were downsizing and letting anyone out for any reason. I'm sure this wouldn't have been the case for me had I been in the same situation in today's military.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I stand by my answers when this was asked yesterday

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/331012/Soldier_mom_refuses_deployment

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• That is tough. She agreed to the job. I know things sometimes end up not working out but she made a promise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• She could have went on a non-deployment status and she wouldn't be in this situation. You signed a contract with the military. If you can't keep that and a child then you get out then have children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Oops... didn't see this question yesterday. Sorry. It was in the top stories in my yahoo today. So, we could change the question to...

What would you do if you were in this situation?

OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• No prob Op, I just didn't want to have to type my responses all over.. lol...
    I would be in this situation. I would have been MORE RESPONSIBLE.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I also stand by grlygrlyz2!

Her answers ROCKED.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I agreed with grlys responses, mine where basically the same. Be extremely responsible, and always have a back-up plan.

As the saying goes: "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

The military didn't create the problem, she did.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Agree with grly
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2009