why does my kid eat so much?

hes 17 months old. he always wants to eat, always has been like that. but its just getting worse. he will eat breakfast, then ask for a snack, then ask for another snack. then ill fix myself something, and hell want some. it just goes on and on. i give him healthy foods, homecooked meals, age appropriate snacks. i heard boys will eat you out of house and home but i didnt know it would be like this. is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• COMPLETELY normal. My son is doing the same. As long as he isn't overweight its fine.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'm not sure if it's normal, but I don't think it's a bad thing! Most mom's are complaining of their kids not eating enough! I would just be thankful that he likes to eat. If you are concerned that something might be taking away his nutrients, and making him get hungry again, then I would just ask his Doctor. I bet you're just a lucky mom that doesn't have a picky eater. Although, by the time he's a teen, you might not consider yourself so lucky..haha!
    MommyHannah

Answer by MommyHannah at 9:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• oh, hes huge. he was 10'2 at birth and now, at 17 months, 32 pounds. the doc says his weight is ok though. but hes not "fat" ( hate that word), hes big, tall, strong, sturdy, energetic. i guess he just has a big appetite?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Wow that is a big baby. If the doc says its fine then im sure it is. Did your husband are you have a big appetite when yall were babies?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• ....yeah... still do! hehehe. i was 10'4 when i was born- my moms family is tall, big. "sturdy stock" as she calls it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Do you have a consistent daily routine? Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner? Try and do that and make them balanced healthy meals & snacks. Am I understanding that you are snacking at different times or in addition to when the child is snacking? I know that makes me want to eat when others are eating in front of me. Eat only when he eats and what he is offered.

Also, a child that wants to eat all the time might be bored. Try and provide a routine during the day with activities and outdoor play each day if you are home. If they are active, stimulated, and happy, sometimes they won't even want to stop to eat.

Another consideration is that the child is going through a growth spurt.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My parents keep telling me we will have to take out a second mortgage when our boys are teens. They are going to have to get their own jobs just to buy their own food!! They are 2 and 3 years old and have gigantic appetites. The boys will typically eat 2-3 sandwiches, piece of fruit, veggies, and cheese for lunch. If I fix cereal for breakfast they will eat 2-4 bowls apiece. Your son sound like mine! Not typical, but healthy for them!! I would recommend a schedule. 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. He will have to learn to eat his fill when you sit down for meals or snacks. Other wise you could instill poor eating habits. It's hard when they are always hungry. Some days my boys will grab their silverware and sit down at the table - I guess it is there way of telling me it is lunch time! :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Wait until you have a teen! Then you will see eating!!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Normal. My daughter is the same way. And she's tiny. I don't know what she does with all that food!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Oh my, my son is almost 8 and I can not get him full LOL... He will eat 5 cans of chicken noodle soup when he gets home from school and a PB&J sandwich or two. Then yep, have dinner. He is skinny as a rail but eats like a horse.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:36 AM on Nov. 17, 2009