A question for elem. teachers.

I'm going back to school after having my daughter and I'm seriously considering not doing teaching. Teaching is something I would LOVE, but I could never afford to be a teacher and LIVE. =/ I live on the border of queens and LI in NY, and I want to move to LI because the school system would be better for my daughter but rent for an apt would be like 1200 a month and that would get me a 1 bedroom. I need groceries and what am I going to do with my daughter, who will get her to school and pick her up if I'm at school?? So my question, teachers, how can I go about finding the BEST POSSIBLE job teaching, to take care of myself and my daughter after I graduate?? How much do u get paid an hour? (if you don't mind my asking) and HOW do you manage??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 10:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in

• In New York there are not many jobs open, so as a new teacher you wouldn't be able to really "shop" around. You would end up taking any job you can get, and that might be a long shot at that. I don't want to discourage you. However, you should know the reality.

If you do get a job, you may be able to enroll your child at your school. This would be a huge cost savings.

Also, teaching is not an hourly pay job. You are given a salary and you will get paid the same amount whether or not you slack and do nothing or spend all of your evenings and weekends at school. (Trust me, if you want to be good your first year you will be there a lot.)

The starting salaries in New York vary from district to district, but they fall between 35-45,000 a year. The $45,000 salaries are usually in the wealthy districts and good luck trying to land one of those jobs as a first year teacher. Those districts often get 300 people who CONT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• apply for the openings.

I really do not want to discourage you. The world needs passionate people to be teachers. However, I want to prepare you for reality. No one told me how hard it would be to get a job. I subbed in White Plains for two years after college before I got a job in southwest Connecticut. I do not have seniority yet. That will take almost five years. I get nervous every spring when the do the staffing for next year that I will be jobless in the fall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I taught in CA for 9 years and we got by on my one income, with 2 kids, 2 cars, and a mortgage. I started at $34,000/yr and when I stopped in 2008, I was making $69,000 a year with 9 years experience and my MS. When I moved from one district to another, I went up $11,000 in pay, just for location. It's like real estate: Location, Location, Location. The salary schedules should be available on the district websites, so find the one that pays the best. Good luck.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009