A question for elem. teachers

I'm going back to school after having my daughter and I'm seriously considering not doing teaching. Teaching is something I would LOVE, but I could never afford to be a teacher and LIVE. =/ I live on the border of queens and LI in NY, and I want to move to LI because the school system would be better for my daughter but rent for an apt would be like 1200 a month and that would get me a 1 bedroom. I need groceries and what am I going to do with my daughter, who will get her to school and pick her up if I'm at school?? So my question, teachers, how can I go about finding the BEST POSSIBLE job teaching, to take care of myself and my daughter after I graduate?? How much do u get paid an hour? (if you don't mind my asking) and HOW do you manage??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 10:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm a SAHM mom now, but was teaching until last year. SO is an elem teacher in Los Angeles. Similar situation cuz we don't get paid enough to live in the area. What do we do? SO bought a house (in Watts) with the teacher next door program (program is gone now) and rents it out. My parents sold us their house (Monterey Park) and we pay them in a low payment plan. If it hadn't been for these 2 properties we'd be renting in Alhambra where most of my family lives (which is pricey, homes $500,000+).

Most LA teachers work in LA but commute (30-45 min away) cuz homes are cheaper out in the boonies. :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i teach elem. i think looking back i should have gone into therapy, ot, speech, etc... they work in schools but can build their schedules (so you could be home to get her off to school, be there when she gets home) my son will have to have care before and after school because the school that i teach at has longer hours than a local district. pay is different in different states. i have been teaching for 5 yrs and make mid 30's.... (which means i make about 23 per hour) teaching is rewarding but very very draining. i suggest you go into therapy, they make more money per hour too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009