Can you see yourself going through stuff you don't need this year and giving it to other families in need?

I saw the question about How much will you spend on your Kids this year, and I had to shake my head in disbelief. I know so many families that cannot afford to spend more than $10 per kid, and they only have one or two kids. I'm wondering if those of us with plenty, have thought about going through our stuff that we dont' use, or don't need, and making some sort of gift package for families we know aren't doing well this year. Is that something that you would do? If not, why???

TeenerBeener75

Asked by TeenerBeener75 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• My office is doing a goodwill drive this year and did that last year. So I usually go through stuff and bring it in. In the past, when I didn't have a child, I didn't have as much extra stuff so really just keep/or only bought things I needed. Now I have toys she's outgrowing, clothing, etc. So have more to go through. I did this every so often as a child and we would have a garage sale and donate the rest. Toys and books a quarter or fifty cents each, clothing, and all that.

I usually pick an angel off the tree and buy gifts for that program.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Every yea we participate in giving warm clothes to the coat foundation for those who can't afford it. We also give toys for toys for tots.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd do it if I knew someone who would appreciate our cast-offs, but since I don't we'll just be buying new toys to donate to toys for tots. I take my kids to the store each year to choose one special gift to donate to toys for tots each year - it's our family's tradition, not just something we'll do special this year. We also donate to the foodbank and miscellaneous other charities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I understand some people might be put off by cast off items, but if you know a family who is in need...why not buy specific groceries for them, or ask if they need something specific...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Every year I take 2 big boxes and fill it full of coats,boots,shoes that have good life left in them yet and tons of clothing that is too small for them. Then I take another box and fill it up with the unbroken toys/puzzles/games that they've outgrown and pass them onto someone I either know who needs them or to Goodwill/Salvation Army. This past year has been very hard on our family because of the divorce so many of our things were decided on in the moves. 800 miles is along way to take something you've outgrown. So I guess in the past 2 years we've donated to our maximum. My kids get 1 gift (if possible) of something they've really wanted most of the year be it a game,clothing item,shoes,whatever-(price does matter and they understand that). Then they get a few surprises I've built up on clearance sales throughout the year and I make them a blanket every year for Christmas from just momma.Being family is more important.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Our family does this many times a year, with more going out at holiday times. We love helping others, and I personally feel that it is my calling to help those less fortunate than I, or those just in a rut. We are no where near wealthy, or even upper anything, but we make it happen.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I do every year actually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I hit anon did not mean to. I am above.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Anon :18 "I understand some people might be put off by cast off items, but if you know a family who is in need...why not buy specific groceries for them, or ask if they need something specific..."

Response from Anon :14 - I'd be willing to do this too, but honestly I don't know anyone personally who needs help, so I donate directly to agencies who provide things to the people who do need them. If I did know a family that was in need I would help them out directly (I have done that in the past), but I just don't know any at this particular time. I don't know one single person who has lost a job or taken a pay cut due to the recession. I do know people who lost value in their retirement accounts, but they aren't needing help to meet their current expenses; I really don't know anyone who is suffering beyond that. So, I will only be donating to organizations and not to individuals this year.
    Anonymous

• We have local orgs here that accepts things that we donate including food and new and used toys and puts together boxes for those who need a little extra help ea yr...
    We give to our local food pantry many times thru-out the yr and donate what we don't use or can't back to our local thrift store/Churches in the area... and ea Christmas we do the toys for tots... I appreciate these orgs bc while a single mother there was a yr I needed the extra help and it all was well appreciated my me and my dds at the time... it teaches our children that sometimes others need more than you do...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2009