Solids

I am so confused. My daughter is 6 months old. She has tried all the rice/solids. But now, WHEN DO I FEED THEM TO HER???? How do I know to give her milk (breast) or food???? What is a typical feeding schedule like at this age? How often? How many ounces, I NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://babyledweaning.com/ will answer all of your questions

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• She should get the same amount of breastmilk or formula as before... this should always come first before giving solids. The most important part of the diet is the milk... other foods are just for practice.
    And then with the solids give them as often as you want... 2-3 times/day.
    With my son he would usually get baby oatmeal and fruit in the morning, and then a fruit and vege for lunch and dinner.
    At 6 months he took only a tablespoon or so but by 8 months he took 4-5 tablespoons for a meal. We started tablefoods at 8 months until he was on all table foods by about 10 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com and check out the Gerber, Beech Nut and Nature's Goodness sites for a great menu suggestions as well

I feed my 8 month old son 1/4 c cereal with breastmilk about 2 hrs after he wakes and nurses with 1 fruit; then another fruit about mid-day and then "dinner" about 6:30-7 (1/4 c cereal with breastmilk and 2 veggies). Best wishes and enjoy the new food discoveries and challenges.
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 11:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Always nurse before solids. That's the only rule... You can do some in the morning, or with dinner... it's all up to you. We typically feed DS (8mo) a little of what we're having for dinner every night.... and I try to eat when he's sleeping the rest of the day because he won't let me eat without giving him some! :)

Nursing should still be his main source of nutrition, though, so you don't want to give him a ton of food... just be mindful about it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Nurse first, all feedings. Solids as often as you care to give them. As long as you nurse first, solids after, you CANNOT go wrong. And if she takes a teaspoon of solids, that's fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2009