Question about mirena

Does mirena have estrogen in it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• "In this article the abbreviation IUCD refers to this whole group of contraceptives, and the terms Mirena and IUS will be used interchangeably.

Most IUCD's make a woman's periods heavier, but the Mirena makes periods lighter than usual. Because of this, it is frequently used as a treatment for heavy periods, even in women who don't need contraception. As can be seen in the picture, it is made of a light, plastic, T-shaped frame with the stem of the 'T' a bit thicker than the rest. This stem contains a tiny storage system of a hormone called Levonorgestrel. This hormone is also used in contraceptive pills such as Eugynon, Logynon, Microgynon, Ovran 30, Ovranette and Trinordial. In the Mirena, however, a much lower dose is released than when you take the Pill (about 1/7th strength), and it goes directly to the lining of the womb, rather than through the blood stream where it may lead to the common progesterone-type side effects
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:04 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

The above quote is from this website.

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Just be careful with Mirena. I got it shortly after my daughter was born 3 years ago and just found out that Mirena had apparently "fallen out" and thus, now I am 13 weeks pregnant. My doctor also told me that more and more women are getting pregnant while having the Mirena. It was wonderful, don't get me wrong. I didn't have a period at all for almost 3 years and I never felt any side effects (not even hormonal).

Just a word to the wise, Be cautious :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i have the mirena and i like it so far, i have had heavy bleeding and cramping for a week now, but as long as it will keep me from getting preo for at least a year and won't hurt my chances of having a baby in the future, then i will take it. as for your question from what i understand it has many hormones in it that are released in your uterus. but not sure what hormones. GL
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009