Would you be angry too or am I being a gamer-hating nag?

My husband bought a new video game last night. He went BACK in to work at 11:00 to buy it. He came back home at midnight and stayed up ALL NIGHT playing it. He had to be to work at 7:00 this morning. He was supposed to try to stay up tonight because tomorrow nigh he has to work an overnighter. He royally screwed himself because he's gonna want to crash at 6 or 7 and then wake up at like, 8, then go to work at 11 that night and be up until 9:30 the next morning.

I know that he's a big boy and can make his own decisions, and he is usually so great about being responsible... am I being a bitch or should he be allowed to make an irresponsible decision every now and then? It just pisses me off SOOO much that games are this important to him!

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• LOL! I feel your pain. Every time my husband gets a new game, he gets so excited about playing it that he "over plays" it. He works from 7 pm- 7 am and he has been known to stay up all day to play his game and crash at about 4 pm and get up at 6:30 and go to work. As long as this is not happening every week or as long as he is not grouchy towards you because of his lack of sleep, then honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just let him enjoy the excitement of the new game.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• im not saying that it shouldnt piss you off, but i dont know if i would start a fight over it. people say you have to pick and choose your battles, is it really worth it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Just make sure you have that "I told you so" look on your face when he does what you said he'll do. lol Men are such little kids sometimes!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd let him crash and if he complains, tell him he brought it on himself. There's nothing wrong with playing games, but when it interferes with priorities, that's when it can be a problem. Let him learn his lesson the hard way. GL
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well, men are different. It would be like us getting a new book or a cool new movie series or something like that. As long as he's responsible and can pull all the hours he suppost to at work, i don't see a reason in getting THAT mad :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• One time isn't a big deal. I would be mad to but nothing to ruin a day over. My husband does that sometimes especially when our son was first born.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My husband does this on a regular basis, not games but working on the hot rod. It's annoying, I used to let it get to me but now I just smile and ignore him when he complains about being tired. I just laugh in my head and think "well you idiot, if you hadn't stayed in the garage until 3am you wouldn't be so flipping tired." Like you said, he's a big boy and can take care of himself so long as mine can still make it to work in the morning and hustle a decent paycheck I don't mind it. He HAS learned over the years that I have no sympathy for him after an all-nighter though and I still expect help with the kids without whining.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• well i would just let it be just because he is going to learn that he made a mistake. i would calm down and save the anger for (if he is like my husband) when he tries to call in because he is too tired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Lol, he definately won't call in just because he's tired. He works no matter what.

The thing is, I don't think he DID learn a lesson. He KNEW it would happen. I warned him to put a timer on so he wouldn't lose track of time and he didn't. When I got up at 5:30 to glare at him (lol) he said "Well, I told you this would happen." and he seemed pleased with himself. I told him I was angry because now he's gonna get home at 5:30 and want to go to bed, and that costs me family time with him. He just said "I won't go to bed right away..." like "Meh, I'll give you an hour, quit nagging."

Such a jerk.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It's OK to feel irritated about it. But, we must allow our husbands to be innocent boys somethimes. If its something he is really interested in, & thoroughly enjoys doing it, then what can we do? That is part of his character...liking video games (i love them too, i'm a gamer slut...lol) and you cannot change that. At least he is not up watching porn late at night like some of these wives husbands on here, be grateful!

If it's messing up his work, then sit down & tell him that it's worrying you. Tell him that you don't mind him playing games, but you would really appreciate it if he remains responsible. You can easily voice your opinion on that without sounding like a bitch.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2009