What is your holiday tradition?

I'm just curious to know what other families have as holiday traditions. I always put up all of my Christmas decorations and tree the day after Thanksgiving. I do that instead of trying to battle the Black Friday shopping crowd!

jlassiter29

Asked by jlassiter29 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• We decorate about a week before Christmas. My tradition is to have everything down before the New Year- so the year starts out fresh, but my husband prefers to leave things up, so I let him handle taking stuff down. His parents decorated Christmas eve after the children had gone to bed, but my family liked having a little party where the children helped decorate a few weeks ahead and sang carols.

Answer by Bmat at 11:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We also do all of our decorating right after Thanksgiving. I go all out and love it! A tradition in my family is to keep everything up till Three Kings Day, but that drives my husband nuts! He complains that he wants his house back!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Before I met my BF (2 1/2 years ago), I always used to have the tradition of putting up the tree just after Thanksgiving, stringing the lights and then early in December have a Tree Trimming party with either family or friends. A couple of years I set up a craft table near the tree where guests could create their own ornaments and put them on the tree or take them home as a memento. It was always lots of fun and really made decorating more fun.
    After 2 1/2 years with my BF and his kids I'm going to try to make it a family tradition for my new family.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 12:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• November 1 the Halloween decorations come down ( a few Fall items do remain up until Thanksgiving) and I pull out the Christmas stuff...
    this yr we had some unseasonably warm weather several weekends in a row so dh and I got out there and got all of the lights up and the blow-ups out ...by Thanksgiving I should have all of the decorations up including both trees... I take my time doing this every yr... it will take almost the whole month of November for me to get all of it up and tweaked before I think it looks perfect...lol... I will light them up when we get home from Thanksgiving with his family....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I once put the tree up on Nov. 16th but usually about two or three weeks before Christmas and sometimes down the 26th. My husband fights me on that but I like it down before the new year. My neighbors left their christmas lights up until June. Gotta love that!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2009