How did you DEAL with weaning?

Today I am starting on the weaning process and I dont know how I am going to deal with it. I know how my son is going to deal with it but I don't know if I can stick to my goal. My 1st goal was to bf him until age 1...today he is 13 months and I think its time to give it up. I am not concerned about what the W.H.O. (World Health Organization) says. I refuse to nurse him until he's 2...so I need help. I need to know, if you've been through this, how YOU dealt with weaning. Thanks.

( for all you judgemental moms, dont judge me...if u dont have any advice to give on the topic, then keep ur opinion to yourself)

kristina_1988

Asked by kristina_1988 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• your worried about missing the closeness? well there are a ton of other things you can do with your son so that you can still keep the bond with him. its completly normal and natural to feel this way. to keep this feeling minimal you should eat meals at the table with him, designate some special cuddle time in place of your b.f. time, and remember that anytime you feel especially upset over it jsut pick him up and snuggle him for a few minutes. you will do fine. if you are serious stick to it because if it will take longer to dry up if you go back and forth.....and if your not 100% sure dont wean because it really sucks to go through engorgement and all for nothing and it is near imposible to get your milk supply back up once its been depleated.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well I wasn't ABLE to breatfeed but I know I had a hard time along with my son weaning him from his bottles at 15 months... that was the only time I got "cuddle" time with my son and due to his 1 year long colic, I struggled with that!! I wished I would have done it moer around 13 months I guess because he was attached to his baba at 15 months and that was hard hearing him cry for his comfort of the bottle and knowing what he wanted "for once!" and not giving it to him... very hard. I just thought the longer I waited, the harder it was going to be and that's how I got through weaning.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well, I quit at 7 mos. You have done an excellent job, don't stress! I started by cutting out 1 feeding a day. Eventually I was down to 1 night feeding and 1 morning feeding. Then I cut out one of those, then I cut out the last. It wasn't painful or anything and by that time, my DH wasn't even that interested. She never resisted and she has always had a bottle, so it wasn't too painful. Gradual weaning will be the best thing for any engorgement.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Good job! You should be proud of yourself!! I would wean slowly. Skip the same feeding everyday for a week, then skip another. Give your body a chance to stop producing the milk.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2009