How do I get out of this?

A girl I went to high school with recently found me again on Facebook and we started talking. Well her husband just got deported back to Mexico so she asked me to watch her daughter during the days. I already have two kids (ages 3 and 1) plus I watch another little boy three days a week (age 2). She orginally told me it would be for a few weeks but now she keeps talking about what days I will have her next month. Her daughter is only 5 months old and I have her 46 hours a week and honestly this is a lot of work. How do I get out of this without leaving her desperate to find another sitter? I feel bad but its a lot of stress taking care of all the kids. I am worn out! How do I tell her?

I forgot to add that I have already been watching her for two weeks now!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• THATS A ROUGH SPOT. WHEN I GET IN SITUATIONS LIKE THAT I TOTALLY LIE AND SAY MY KIDS ARE SICK AND I DONT WANT THEIR KID AROUND MINE, THEN DRAG IT OUT UNTIL EVENTUALLY SHE AVOIDS YOU. I KNOW ITS TOTALLY MEAN
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Just tell her you cant do it anymore. Give her a week or two notice to find another sitter. I have twins and a friend of mine wanted me to watch her twins two days a week. I did for about a month and told her I was losing my mind so she had to find someone else and she had no problem, actually she was surprised I made it that long. Were still close friends and everything and she put her kids in daycare. Why cant your friend get daycare and possibly assistance from DHS?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Just tell her that you were willing to watch the baby short term and tell her that in 2-3 weeks she needs to come up with a different childcare provider. That way, she has notice and time to find someone else. Don't leave it open-ended, give an exact date so she can't keep extending it out
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

Why not just be honest instead of deceptive? It shows a lack of character and is a poor example to show your kids.
    Jademom07

• Just be honest with her... tell her you feel like you have taken on to much. Talk to her now and give her the right amount of time to find another sitter. She should be more thankful that you was there for her. I myself would rather be told the turth and still have a friendship than finding out later that I was lied too. good luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 11:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I was in that situation and because of the way I was treated by my inlaws I won't do it again at all! I just told them I was hired to work somewhere else and I can't do it anymore find someone else ya they were mad but they also got over it!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I would let her down easy. Say something like...."I love your little girl. She is so cute but since watching her, I have realized that its too much for me." How would that work for you?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Being honest is best,just tell her the arrangement isnt working out and she has 1-2 weeks to find another sitter.I know I would respect you alot more for being honest with me.I know its hard,but thats what I would do.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• tell her a personal family matter came up and in 2 weeks you cant help her out anymore... if she asks for details repeat that it is personal. it might piss her off but she sounds like a flake.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I agree being honest is the best approach. Tell her you can watch the girl for now, but it's hard to give her the attention she needs when you have 3 others to watch. Tell her she has to find another babysitter and maybe even give her a hand in finding one. Search the internet for child care providers if you don't mind helping her out in that aspect.
    Anonymous