What Age To Test For Dyslexia?

I am going to ask the doctors, (my DS has 2 different types) but I wanted a mother's perspective as well. My husband is Dyslexic, our 4 year old son is Autistic, with early signs of Tourette Syndrome; so I don't know if it has something to do with those, or not. I home school, and we've been working on writing letters for about 2 months now. You know how kids act like they're reading something, even though they can't read? Typically, they start left to right, but not my son. Always right to left, and writes some letters backwards. Always B,D,E and F. He calls them out wrong, too sometimes. For B, he'll say D, etc. This is Dyslexia, as I know it through my husband. When do they test for that, and is it hard to get it done? What can we expect? Thanks!

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 11:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• reversal is seen as completely normal until 3rd grade/ with your family history i see your concern. you can talk to the doc about it but i doubt you can get a diagnosis yet.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Typical 4 year olds do all of that, too.
    Anonymous

• That is typical for the age. I wouldn't be concerned about Dyslexia yet. In fact, children often make those same mistakes up until around age 8. Keep working with him and give it some time.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the answers ladies.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2009