Potty training daughter, or should I say trying too....

Daughter is a little over two yearsold, and she lets me know after she goes potty that she has gone potty, but no signs of telling me before. im taking here to the toiet often, she has a potty and ive tryed the toliet seat topper style also. help nothing is working. im trying pull up but she still doesnt care ive bribed here with m&ms and stickers. help me

AlexasMom2007

Asked by AlexasMom2007 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• She isn't ready. five it another couple of months then try again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Give not 'five'
    Jademom07

• Maybe not what you want to hear, but it's possible she's simply not ready. I have boys who often take longer to train than girls but my first didn't potty train until he was 3. When he did though we were accident free after only a week. My second is 2 1/2 now and I did a trial with him a short time ago, he didn't take to it so I just let it go for now. It really just wasn't the stress for me to try make him go earlier, once he was ready it was a piece of cake. I know a lot of mom's will disagree with me...but I'm more of the laid-laid-back-hey-whatever-works-for-you type than the my-kid-did-everything-faster-than-yours-did.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I would wait a few months - drop it completely. Then take away her diapers and pull-ups. Just undies. But you have to wait until she is absolutely ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• If you want to continue to try now, try keeping a chart of when she is going, then take her a little ahead of that time. She is bound to go one of the times and then you make a big deal of it. My daughter didn't completely train until 3 1/2 some kids just get it later. Also,I'm not a big fan of pull-ups. My kids thought they were too much like diapers.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• STOP your child is tryingto tell you shes not ready. ditch the book tell the people who say she should be trained by now to SHOVE IT. let your child be a child and she will tell you when shes ready
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 1:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My children weren't trained until they were almost four. My son would scream anytime I would even try to let him use the bathroom, so I didn't force him. However, I know I was lucky because my children weren't in daycare. Though they did go to preschool, it wasn't an issue because both of my kids had speech issues, so they were in "special needs" preschools even though physically they were fine.

Still I wouldn't force a child to use the potty. I knew a woman who made it a power struggle between her and her daughter. It got to the point the daughter knew how to go but because mom wanted her too, she refused.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I don't agree that you need to stop. I think pull-ups are your problem. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think kids are "ready" before they show a lot of the "readiness signs" they say to look for... My daughter hardly showed any of those signs at 19 months and she trained in about a week. If you're ready and committed to helping her, she can do it. And I think 2 is a good age to do it because you don't run into some of the psychological drama (stool refusal, fear of the toilet) that is common with 3-4 year-olds. If you put her in undies and a sweatshirt, crank up the heat in your house, and plan to stay home for a few days, keeping the potty close by, watching her for signs that she's starting to have an accident, and moving her to the potty as she starts to go, she should get it very quickly. She'll begin to associated the potty with it's purpose (rather than taking her periodically hoping she'll happen to pee).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• cont'd : Don't scold her for an accident, just remind her matter-of-factly that pee and poo go in the potty. GIve her a (small) reward if even a little makes it in there. She'll learn to control her bladder first, drastically reducing the amount of accidents (she's physiologically capable of doing this by 2) and then she'll learn to tell you or get herself to the potty soon after.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I agree. She's not ready. Try again later.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009